Webley RIC #1 .476/.455

jethunter

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Super GunNutz
Rating - 100%
359   0   0
Location
Central AB
Just got a new (to me) antique Webley - an RIC#1 .476/.455 with fluted cylinder in excellent+ condition.

It's slightly smaller and lighter than the MKI/II .455 service webley. It points very naturally and feels really good in hand. I'm dying to get out and shoot it, but i'm waiting for the weather here to get above -10 at least.

Anyone ever had their mitts on one of these? How did it shoot? I've seen and owned a few RIC models in .450, but this is my first chambered for .476/.455. Pics to follow.
 
I had a few 455/476 rics, i used 45 Colt cases with the rims thinned and full pyrodex loads holly crap did that gun kick. I switched to 5.5grs of TB and it was much better. take advantage of the long chambers get some 45 schofield or 45 colt brass and get the front of the rim macxhined off so they end up the same thickness as a 455 case rim.
I was getting primer flow with the full pyrodex loads but it was a hell of alot of fun to shoot i stopped after about 12 Rds as the primers looked flattened and flowing that was it for me and pyrodex in antique Revolvers.
I couldnt get decent groups tho with my .454 lead bullets as the bore was like .460 or bigger so were the chamber throats they were .460 to.

I switched to .458 HB cast bullets that was a big improvement. i still have some .458 HB ones i keep for any 476 cal guns.
Same bullets worked much better in the 476 cal WGs.
 
I had a few 455/476 rics, i used 45 Colt cases with the rims thinned and full pyrodex loads holly crap did that gun kick. I switched to 5.5grs of TB and it was much better. take advantage of the long chambers get some 45 schofield or 45 colt brass and get the front of the rim macxhined off so they end up the same thickness as a 455 case rim.
I was getting primer flow with the full pyrodex loads but it was a hell of alot of fun to shoot i stopped after about 12 Rds as the primers looked flattened and flowing that was it for me and pyrodex in antique Revolvers.
I couldnt get decent groups tho with my .454 lead bullets as the bore was like .460 or bigger so were the chamber throats they were .460 to.

I switched to .458 HB cast bullets that was a big improvement. i still have some .458 HB ones i keep for any 476 cal guns.
Same bullets worked much better in the 476 cal WGs.

Dingus, I had to slug the bbl after reading your experience. Barrel slugs to .455", chamber throat is .457". Looks like it should shoot .455" soft lead bullets just fine, but the truth will come out at the shooting range, i guess.
 
Here's the pics. Yes, that is real snow.

0002-3.jpg


0001-2.jpg
 
Last edited:
Dingus, I had to slug the bbl after reading your experience. Barrel slugs to .455", chamber throat is .457". Looks like it should shoot .455" soft lead bullets just fine, but the truth will come out at the shooting range, i guess.

They Do vary alot.
see if the chambers are long enough for a 45 colt case because if you can use them longer cases it will imporve accuracy with .454 or .455 HB bullets or SWC. you should try and get HB if the bore is bigger than the throats.
No point trying to use bullets any bigger than the chamber troats tho.
It would be better if the chamber throat and bore dias were matched.
Rics are well made strong guns.
 
I've been doing some more measuring. A full length .45 colt cartridge will not fit, but it wouldn't take much trimming to make it fit. It also looks like there is sufficent space between rear of cylinder and front of frame that a .45 colt head should fit without thinning the rim.

Barrel slugs out to .455, and just so happens i have a couple thousand soft cast .455" bullets on hand. Throats are .457 so i think the .455 bullets are gonna be good in slightly shortened .45 colt brass or .45 Schofield brass.
 
I've been doing some more measuring. A full length .45 colt cartridge will not fit, but it wouldn't take much trimming to make it fit. It also looks like there is sufficent space between rear of cylinder and front of frame that a .45 colt head should fit without thinning the rim.

Barrel slugs out to .455, and just so happens i have a couple thousand soft cast .455" bullets on hand. Throats are .457 so i think the .455 bullets are gonna be good in slightly shortened .45 colt brass or .45 Schofield brass.

Thats a good gun... it should chamber and cycle 45 schofield cases then your set. its better if it dont fit and cycle unaltered 45 long colt but the shorter 45 schofield is great.
you can shoot 700 to 800 Fps loads outa that unit with them bullets and 45 schofield cases and the right powder charge. Trail boss worked good in my RIC but you gota watch its presure curve when reaching max loads. 2400 is safe with a slow presure curve if loaded rightin the 45 schofield.
I have a remy 1875 thats set up in 45 schofield and it handles the Elmer keith 2400 Loads with a 250 gr SWC has a newer stronger cylinder tho.. its another strong framed gun tho only SA.
 
Dingus, your estimates on velocity using the Schofield brass is pretty near bang on with Quickload estimates of 750 fps with 6.5 gr of Unique and the 250 gr bullet while staying well below high pressure level.

I agree it's a good situation. The full size .45 colt cartridges don't fit so there is no question it has been altered to shoot a prohibited cartridge to disqualify it as a legal antique.

The .45 S&W Schofield still has very respectable case capacity and should give good velocity with reasonable pressure levels.

Mystic Precision is sourcing some Schofield brass. While I'm waiting for the schofield brass I'm going to try the old girl out with some of my .455 webley loads and see how they work.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom