Webley topic gone south...

BrotherRockeye

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
286   0   1
I'm planning to liquidate some of my antique revolvers in the near future.
I'm going to start with a couple of my Webleys(the WG and this MP)and have no idea what the current value of this Metro Police might be.
It's a Webley Metropolitan Police in .450.It is in great shape with at least 35% blue and a shiny bore and all good mechanically.It has the "Manacled Hands" Logo that Webley used on guns sold to police agencies.
I couldn't find anything for comparison in the usual places.
Is there a good book on antique values like a Blue Book or the like?
Any help on a price would be appreciated.

yes the lanyard ring is present.
 
Last edited:
I've been looking at webley greens the past few months...they seem to be worth between $1500 for one in so-so condition up to the 2k$ neighborhood for ones in better condition. Minty ones can go north from there.

Sent you a pm on your mp...

Brobee
 
I know what my WG is worth,it's just this Metro Police that I'm having trouble getting a firm number on.
I have found a refinished one but nothing original in this condition to get a comparison.
 
I know what my WG is worth,it's just this Metro Police that I'm having trouble getting a firm number on.
I have found a refinished one but nothing original in this condition to get a comparison.

$1000 to $1400 depending on condition remember there rare and they aint makein anymore of them ;)
I sold one for $1350 a year or so ago was alot like yours, mine had a mint bore locked up tight on each chamber. there getting expensive in the USA as well, if you can even find one.
antique gun sales are abit soft right now to tho so keep that in mind.
 
Are the high prices for antique Webleys due to the fact that they don't need to be registered? WW1 era Webleys seem to go for a lot less for basically the same gun or is rarity the issue?
 
They are way over priced in Canada, because of their Antique status. In the USA an Antique Webley will for $400.00 or $500.00 US.
 
Are the high prices for antique Webleys due to the fact that they don't need to be registered? WW1 era Webleys seem to go for a lot less for basically the same gun or is rarity the issue?

Both!
And for the same reasons a pre 64 Winchester is worth more than a post 64.
Or a pre mil 99 compared to a post mil.
Webley&Son became Webley&Scott in 1897 so there is historical significance to the earlier models as well.


They are way over priced in Canada, because of their Antique status. In the USA an Antique Webley will for $400.00 or $500.00 US.

That's just not true!
They are just as expensive and some more expensive Stateside.
Code:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/SearchResults.aspx
Where is the $400-$500 Webleys?

Here's a refinish that sold for $1000.Original condition is worth more.
Code:
http://www.auctionarms.com/closed/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=9646619.0

Antique Webleys fetch a good dollar because they are well built irons that stand the test of time.
You want to see expensive check the UK sights.
 
Recently they have been going for double that, in the USA.


Maybe at the place like Gunbroker, but not at the big shows like Tulsa and Louisville. Another example are the French Model 1892 Revolver, I see them advertised here for around a $1000.00, they usually sell from $400.00 to $600.00 in the USA.


Here are a few that recently sold in the USA: ht tp://www.empirearms.com/antique.htm
 
From Empire Arms, they listed this (now sold) revolver

FRENCH Model 1892 Ordnance revolver # F48437 (8x22R Lebel) mfg. by St. Etienne in 1894. Excellent condition with mostly full bluing (only the slightest hint of holster-wear at sides on barrel) and much "straw" color on all non-blued parts. Bore is strong and mostly bright (just a bit frosted from actual use), Checkered walnut grips are a little worn, includes lanyard-ring . Not import-marked. PHOTOS . . . $575. Antique, no FFL required Based on the description, this pistol would not sell for more than $675 on the EE.

I have seen these routinely go up on the EE for $800 range.

From what I have observed and seen on the web, the prices are actually quite close between the US and Canada. Remember, they like their antiques for the same reason we like ours.

Sometimes (as above) Canada is a bit more but I would always rather buy up here and avoid any import/postal screw ups as well as it may have an antique status letter!
 
Last edited:
Maybe at the place like Gunbroker, but not at the big shows like Tulsa and Louisville. Another example are the French Model 1892 Revolver, I see them advertised here for around a $1000.00, they usually sell from $400.00 to $600.00 in the USA.

Here are a few that recently sold in the USA: ht tp://www.empirearms.com/antique.htm

Now yer just grasping at straws.There isn't even an example to back up your statement there...
from that page:
By the way, though we would *LOVE* to have more antique firearms in-stock the simple truth is that 90% of antique-qualified firearms we encounter are in fair to poor condition (or worse), and the ones we DO find that are in better condition tend to sell immediately for whatever price we ask without even offering them on these pages.
oh and this-
We will NOT ship antique firearms outside the U.S.A.
So really their prices mean s**t if they won't ship to us...they could be $1 each...
BTW I didn't see a single Webley on that page...
The 1892's you say go for $400-$600.
The only one listed is $675.00 add tax,exchange if the dollar is week,and factor in SUPPLY AND DEMAND and throw in $100 for the guy that actually went through the trouble of importing it and $1000 isn't unreasonable.
8 out of 10 people shopping on the EE would likely rather pay $1000 in Canada than $675.00 in the US.

Thanks for playing...
Next!
 
Recently they have been going for double that, in the USA.


Maybe at the place like Gunbroker, but not at the big shows like Tulsa and Louisville. Another example are the French Model 1892 Revolver, I see them advertised here for around a $1000.00, they usually sell from $400.00 to $600.00 in the USA.


Here are a few that recently sold in the USA: ht tp://www.empirearms.com/antique.htm

Hmmmmmm, Ok...... I will attend these shows to "maybe" get a cheaper Webley or two.....Tulsa.....Louisville eh? C'mon!

As for French 1892s.....yes, you may find some for that price range in the US.....with sellers who have NO desire to ship to Canada....

As for the empire arms site.......these have been there for a while......you can read in big bold letters at the top of the site: "We are keeping the items we have sold on these pages listed so you can see what types of items we buy and what they have actually sold for"

The market of antique has evolved........

With all due respect, and I know we have had a little misunderstanding a little while ago......your Belgian Nagant was a rare piece, and if you would have had pictures when you added to the EE you could have asked $1200 for it and I would have bought it......so, the story is......you lost money because of that....and got me frustrated that I may never see another one available ;)

It's all about supply and demand......the days of cheap antique shooters is pretty over....even in the US.....and GunBroker is like eBay......people know about that site and won't start selling for less than there if they can just add their antique on that site....

I have military medals that I paid like $40 in the late 90s that are now being sold on eBay for $350-400 maybe I should just be stupid enough to bring them at the local militaria show and ask $60 for them.............
 
The posting ask for opinions and I gave mine, based on 40 odd years of collecting and experience attending Gunshows. Glad to hear people are willing to pay $1200.00 for Antique cartridge revolvers, way to much in my opinion. I will certainly take this into account next time I sell one. End of Story!
 
Everyone's opinion is appreciated.
Yours bucked the current trend so was afforded extra attention.
Antique cartridge revolvers fetch a premium for a good many reasons.
If you think $1200 is steep for one,check out some in the neighborhood of 5K on our EE.
Just search Colt SAA ;)
 
Are the high prices for antique Webleys due to the fact that they don't need to be registered? WW1 era Webleys seem to go for a lot less for basically the same gun or is rarity the issue?

IMO you have hit the nail on the head. In Canada the high prices are due to the antique status more than collector value.

As you noted, a serviceable MKII .455 sells for hundreds of $ more than a mint MKIV, even though the MKIV is considered to be a stronger revolver. The difference is the antique status.

Antique webley prices in the US have been going up fairly dramatically over the last year or so. I think Canadian demand is actually driving up US antique prices to some extent. Some US dealers have realised that Canadians are willing to pay more and are starting to make money on it.
 
Well Gent's,
Just last May bought my first and only antique revolver off GB, so I don't claim to know very much.

A Mk1 webley.45acp, it's tight, great shiney bore, and shoots to 3-4"@ 25 so far and getting better, little original finish remains but this one has no damage or issues. Clean screwslots too.

I got so very lucky, winning as the only bidder @ $600us.

Point is ... I got the bug (thanks y'all ;)) and watching ever since have not seen even one decent Webley priced at anywhere close to what could be had a mere 9 months ago.
 
Back
Top Bottom