This thread kind of kicked something off in my head. For some reason I was stuck thinking that I could only make kits or make flinters to be historically accurate repros.... but that really doesn't make sense. Muzzle loaders are simple enough and there is far enough in the way of available options in barrels, locks, parts etc, that there's really no reason not to try making a bunch of "home" flinters using stuff found around the house. I actually think it would be a fun challenge, making an elegant functional gun with whatever you have on hand. Plus it might be easier for those of us with little/no experience making muzzle loaders if it doesn't "have" to look like something else in the end

I know this isn't a huge revelation for anyone else out there, but I'm glad the OP posted because it snapped me out of my tunnel vision!