I have been shooting cap and ball revolvers for a while now and have used the spout on the powder flask to measure the powder by volume. I recently bought an 1873 SAA cartridge revolver in .45 Colt and will be reloading for it using a Lee 4 hole turret press kit which comes with a powder scale which obviously measures the weight rather than the volume. I currently have Goex FFFG powder on hand but the Goex reloading data recommends 40-42 grains (powder charge measure setting) of FFG for the .45 Colt cartridge depending on the weight of the bullet.
"Powder charge measure setting" sounds like a volume measurement to me and I could come close using a combination of the spouts that I have.
Can I safely use FFFG in this cartridge instead of the FFG as recommended or should I reduce the charge and use a wad to make up the space below the bullet.
Any advice appreciated...thanks.
"Powder charge measure setting" sounds like a volume measurement to me and I could come close using a combination of the spouts that I have.
Can I safely use FFFG in this cartridge instead of the FFG as recommended or should I reduce the charge and use a wad to make up the space below the bullet.
Any advice appreciated...thanks.


















































