arrove this morning - not too shabby - just under five weeks from shipping via dog sled and caribou travois.
It's a 1862-date BSA three-groove three-band rifle with lots of good clear stamps. Seen some life, but hey, haven't we all? The rifling is god and sharp - it will be a good shooter, I'm sure, even with me behind it.
Needs a good in-service cleaning and TLC, something that I'll derive great pleasure from administering over the next week or so, and then get it over to Birmingham to get it proofed so that I can shoot it, and my widow can sell it.
Here in UK it's an antique, since there is no ammunition ready-made, so I can own it without any form of permission. However, if I want to shoot the thing, and TBH, who wouldn't?, I first have to ditch one of my Section 1 rifled firearms [I have eighteen], to get this one 'on ticket' as they say here. Bullets are not a problem - got eight different-sized moulds from .575" to .590", and all the expertise that isn't in UK is here to call on - the benefits of the internet.
I'll keep you posted, and meanwhile, to Paul in Ontario - many, many thanks - you can be sure it's found a good home here with me.
Best to all
tac
Snider #290
It's a 1862-date BSA three-groove three-band rifle with lots of good clear stamps. Seen some life, but hey, haven't we all? The rifling is god and sharp - it will be a good shooter, I'm sure, even with me behind it.
Needs a good in-service cleaning and TLC, something that I'll derive great pleasure from administering over the next week or so, and then get it over to Birmingham to get it proofed so that I can shoot it, and my widow can sell it.
Here in UK it's an antique, since there is no ammunition ready-made, so I can own it without any form of permission. However, if I want to shoot the thing, and TBH, who wouldn't?, I first have to ditch one of my Section 1 rifled firearms [I have eighteen], to get this one 'on ticket' as they say here. Bullets are not a problem - got eight different-sized moulds from .575" to .590", and all the expertise that isn't in UK is here to call on - the benefits of the internet.
I'll keep you posted, and meanwhile, to Paul in Ontario - many, many thanks - you can be sure it's found a good home here with me.
Best to all
tac
Snider #290


















































