Werndl 1867/77 Carbine - Looking for Info!

Nabs

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 99.6%
272   1   1
Location
Somewhere...
Hello!

Firstly, I'd like to say I hope I can rely on some great info from the knowledgeable ladies and gentlemen here! I've got a special piece of history that I'd like to shoot! All matching down to the screws and buttplate!

Firstly, I bought this from an online small business here in Canada who bought it as part of an antique rifle estate lot Italy. It is in exceptional condition for its age and has been well cared for. The action locks up as if it was brand new, everything is tight and well maintained. The story (I bought the gun for what it is, but the story is cool too!) he gave me was that the gentleman who owned it used it for military re-enacting as a rear-guard Landswehrmann for WWI re-enacting. Very cool! The seller also said that he was told it was professionally converted to fire 45 Long Colt by a gunsmith at Uberti or Euroarms some time ago. I am sure it would have cost a pretty penny, and the conversion looks pretty good to my untrained eye.

I am looking for information on what, exactly, this carbine is? Here is what little research I have scavenged up.
It has a front band-mounted bayonet lug, leading me to think it is not a cavalry carbine. Since it also has an extra finger rest at the rear of the trigger guard, I believe this could be a Jager Extra-Corps Karabiner, so definitely quite rare as I do not think they made any. Also, this does not appear to be an early model, as the hammer and mechanism are purpose built, and the rear tang at the wrist does not have a spring or rotating cocking bearing. However, there are no dates anywhere that I can see (I have not disassembled it yet), only the maker mark of OEWG for the Imperial Waffenfabrik Steyr.

Secondly, since it is in 45 Long Colt, would I be safe shooting smokeless loads out of this? The max pressure of 45 Long Colt according to Hodgdon's reloading website is 13,700 PSI with a load of 10 grains of HS-6 powder with a 300grain bullet. The original caliber of this carbine was 11.2X36mm Werndl Carbine, in black powder (likely FFG). I am willing to shoot black powder, FFG and FFFG, and I think the standard 28-32 grain load of powder for 45 Long Colt would be safe (am I right on that loading?)

Would appreciate any information, or oooh la la drooling and thumbs up for this lovely arm! Now, pictures of the beautiful Frauline!

r6Z5mYe.jpg

rFid6OX.jpg

8wmOeiw.jpg

TrADpye.jpg

7o39K34.jpg


Thanks
Nabs
 
Back
Top Bottom