what am i able to convert a .25rf into?

m-134

Regular
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Location
Thunder Bay, ON
i recently picked up a stevens favorite rifle 1915 in .25 stevens rimfire parts/fixer-upper gun. what do i have for options to convert this gun to? i have heard of people converting these .25rf's into .25acp just by moving the firing pin/hole up alittle bit, and i have also heard of people rechambering them to .25-20. what else is there that could be done fairly easy and cheap? i do reload so i have no problems loading light loads.
 
Last edited:
id leave it be and make some reloadable cases the .25 acp case could be used and then drilled out like we do to the .32 short colt to make .32 rimfire you mite have to try different blank sizes

also the .27 cal blanks for the nail guns may already be a good fit
 
I would be hesitant to convert to a center fire cartridge. Even though 25-20 is a small low pressure cartridge, the favourite is not an overly strong action. You also would need to measure the twist rate of the rifling and use the Greenhill formula to figure out maximum projectile length. In this case I would use the rifling twist 1" slower than actually measured. Reason is that going the other direction and calculating the minimum twist for a given projectile, I would normally calculate the twist then go 1" faster to be sure of stability

cheers mooncoon
 
A 25 hilti blank and a round ball makes these easy to shoot......

if you measure the .25 cal ones there off a little bit because the outside in on the small side there really .25 cal on the outside the .25 stevens is .276 or so on the outside


I also hear the .25 Hilti works, but I have no first hand experience...folks get too caught up on the hypothetical numbers and dismiss things. It is definitely worth a try. If numbers mattered that much I never would have ended up doing multiple successful S-15 small block swaps... 5 speed even... just sayin' :)

Sorry they ain't guns but you get the drift. Point is, it never hurts to try!

When I started reloading (as with many other folks on here I'm sure) there was no internet and I never used the internet until about 10 or so years ago. Guys just had knowledge and shared it, or you did your research via the reloading manuals, GD, whatever to make sure your pressures were good and then...gave 'er a whirl. Hilti is an easy try - if that doesn't work and you can make a .25 auto case work (heck load it down of you feel you need to) then I don't see why not...


Only my 0.02 "your mileage may vary"
 
Last edited:
I also hear the .25 Hilti works, but I have no first hand experience...folks get too caught up on the hypothetical numbers and dismiss things. It is definitely worth a try. If numbers mattered that much I never would have ended up doing multiple successful S-15 small block swaps... 5 speed even... just sayin' :)

According to all the measuremrents this wasn't supposed to work either:

Sorry they ain't guns but you get the drift. Never hurts to try!

When I started reloading (as with many other folks on here I'm sure) there was no internet and I never used the internet until about 10 or so years ago. Guys just had knowledge and shared it, or you did your research via the reloading manuals, GD, whatever to make sure your pressures were good and then...gave 'er a whirl. Hilti is an easy try - if that doesn't work and you can make a .25 auto case work (heck load it down of you feel you need to) then I don't see why not...


Only my 0.02 "your mileage may vary"

fitting a engine is a different story then using a under size case in a gun chamber i mean i helped big block chevy engines put into fox body mustangs but guns are not a guessing game

id think a .25 auto case with a short .22 crimp blank as a primer may work if not maybe a shortened .22 mag as a primer or even the .25 hilti thats about the same size as a .22 mag base wise
 
I have a lil .25 Remmy Roller that I've been experimenting with for some time. You name it, I've tried it!

.27 Hilti's fit the best and the extractor works. .25's are a little sloppy in the hole. I've used round balls, BB's, amd pointy stuff, all .25 cal and I really cant see a lot of difference in accuracy. My favorite is the bullet from .25 ACP with a red Hilti. No chrony, but they hit harder than a .22.

Yellow Hilti's and BB's are great for plinking. A lot quieter than the Reds, something like a .22 short. Works great for small birds. I've inserted the ball separately, glued, silicone'd, JB welded, and stole some sticky tac (whatever its called) from the kids, to stick the projectiles to the Hilti's. Silicone is the best as it leaves the bullet some wiggleability when inserting it.

Mine will just catch the edge of a .25 ACP. With some help from an innertube/rubber band (dont ask!) the firing pin will usually set it off. I've shot a few factory rounds but mostly reloaded with BP.

The ACP is a little small in the hole and my extractor doesnt work very well with them, but they do shoot just fine.

All in all, By the time I would reload ACP's and modify the pin and extractor, it doesnt pay. I'm just going to keep siliconing ACP bullets to Red Hilti's!
 
I have a lil .25 Remmy Roller that I've been experimenting with for some time. You name it, I've tried it!

.27 Hilti's fit the best and the extractor works. .25's are a little sloppy in the hole. I've used round balls, BB's, amd pointy stuff, all .25 cal and I really cant see a lot of difference in accuracy. My favorite is the bullet from .25 ACP with a red Hilti. No chrony, but they hit harder than a .22.

Yellow Hilti's and BB's are great for plinking. A lot quieter than the Reds, something like a .22 short. Works great for small birds. I've inserted the ball separately, glued, silicone'd, JB welded, and stole some sticky tac (whatever its called) from the kids, to stick the projectiles to the Hilti's. Silicone is the best as it leaves the bullet some wiggleability when inserting it.

Mine will just catch the edge of a .25 ACP. With some help from an innertube/rubber band (dont ask!) the firing pin will usually set it off. I've shot a few factory rounds but mostly reloaded with BP.

The ACP is a little small in the hole and my extractor doesnt work very well with them, but they do shoot just fine.

All in all, By the time I would reload ACP's and modify the pin and extractor, it doesnt pay. I'm just going to keep siliconing ACP bullets to Red Hilti's!


There ya go! I'll defer to the .27 on your first hand account.

And no modification required.
 
I have a lil .25 Remmy Roller that I've been experimenting with for some time. You name it, I've tried it!

.27 Hilti's fit the best and the extractor works. .25's are a little sloppy in the hole. I've used round balls, BB's, amd pointy stuff, all .25 cal and I really cant see a lot of difference in accuracy. My favorite is the bullet from .25 ACP with a red Hilti. No chrony, but they hit harder than a .22.

Yellow Hilti's and BB's are great for plinking. A lot quieter than the Reds, something like a .22 short. Works great for small birds. I've inserted the ball separately, glued, silicone'd, JB welded, and stole some sticky tac (whatever its called) from the kids, to stick the projectiles to the Hilti's. Silicone is the best as it leaves the bullet some wiggleability when inserting it.

Mine will just catch the edge of a .25 ACP. With some help from an innertube/rubber band (dont ask!) the firing pin will usually set it off. I've shot a few factory rounds but mostly reloaded with BP.

The ACP is a little small in the hole and my extractor doesnt work very well with them, but they do shoot just fine.

All in all, By the time I would reload ACP's and modify the pin and extractor, it doesnt pay. I'm just going to keep siliconing ACP bullets to Red Hilti's!

id think red hiltis and a heavy bullet like that would be a little over board for most guns id stick to round balls
 
I have a lil .25 Remmy Roller that I've been experimenting with for some time. You name it, I've tried it!

.27 Hilti's fit the best and the extractor works. .25's are a little sloppy in the hole. I've used round balls, BB's, amd pointy stuff, all .25 cal and I really cant see a lot of difference in accuracy. My favorite is the bullet from .25 ACP with a red Hilti. No chrony, but they hit harder than a .22.

Yellow Hilti's and BB's are great for plinking. A lot quieter than the Reds, something like a .22 short. Works great for small birds. I've inserted the ball separately, glued, silicone'd, JB welded, and stole some sticky tac (whatever its called) from the kids, to stick the projectiles to the Hilti's. Silicone is the best as it leaves the bullet some wiggleability when inserting it.

Mine will just catch the edge of a .25 ACP. With some help from an innertube/rubber band (dont ask!) the firing pin will usually set it off. I've shot a few factory rounds but mostly reloaded with BP.

The ACP is a little small in the hole and my extractor doesnt work very well with them, but they do shoot just fine.

All in all, By the time I would reload ACP's and modify the pin and extractor, it doesnt pay. I'm just going to keep siliconing ACP bullets to Red Hilti's!
Very interesting. I know I can imagine it, but do you happen to have a picture of what this looks like? (The .25 ACP on the Hilti that is...)

What do you figure the cost per round is?

Also I wonder if OAL matters at all.....
 
I'm sorry, I don't have any pictures and at the moment I'm all out of everything. I'll start stocking up again once (or if) the snow disappears!

I have been paying around $8/box of 100 Hiltis and $50/1000 bullets. I've seen Hilti's from $5-$15/100 I've also seen $5/200 bb's and pellets,

I generally buy what I can find!

Anything looks cheap to me after I left my 30-30 with Dad at the farm 25 yrs ago with about 200 rnds. He called me a few days later and told me to bring more ammo!!!!!. He sure liked shootin gophers with that gun! I told him it was over a buck a shot, his reply? So what? It's your gun! If you didnt want me to use it, you shouldnt have left it here!
He shot about 1000 gophers that summer.......ask me how I know! LOL I still laugh about it when I pick up that gun.
 
id think red hiltis and a heavy bullet like that would be a little over board for most guns id stick to round balls

They do pack a pretty good punch. I figure my Roller can handle them, I know a couple guys that have shot 22 Mags out of rebarreled ones for years, with no problems.
If your gun is built on the lighter side, you're right, my loads might be a little much. A green or yellow Hilti would suit it better along with the round ball.

The Hilti's range in color from
1-Grey
2-Brown
3-Green
4-Yellow
5-Red
6-Purple

No one carries the purple locally here, but I would like to try them once. Should be along the lines of a Magnum.
 
They do pack a pretty good punch. I figure my Roller can handle them, I know a couple guys that have shot 22 Mags out of rebarreled ones for years, with no problems.
If your gun is built on the lighter side, you're right, my loads might be a little much. A green or yellow Hilti would suit it better along with the round ball.

The Hilti's range in color from
1-Grey
2-Brown
3-Green
4-Yellow
5-Red
6-Purple

No one carries the purple locally here, but I would like to try them once. Should be along the lines of a Magnum.

your gun may take them ok but other guns may not i dont doubt that steves the OP is talking about would come off face easy
 
Back
Top Bottom