What Antique Pistol for Backcountry Carry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CourtenayBoy

Regular
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I would like to have an antique pistol so I can carry it while gold panning, hiking etc. What caliber and antique pistol would you recommend for this? I would need to be able to purchase ammunition easily or at least need to be able to acquire dies and a safe recipe. Black bear is the biggest predator out here. Wolves and Cougar also.

I realize I have much better options in my long gun collection, but would rather something a bit more handy than a shotgun on a stump, out of reach.

Cheers and thank you kindly for your input

Mike
 
Groan, not this again ......

this spring, my wife and I were charged three times by the same bear, stopping at 15 yds the last time. Our dogs had brought the bear to us, as they are prone to do. I had my 50-70 carbine on it, ready to fire if it advanced any further. It would have been one quick shot and then I would have had a club. I can't think which of my 'antique' revolvers would have been a better arm than the carbine. All of them are in pretty wimp[y calibres - .450/.455.
A friend had a similar experience, his dogs coming back to him with the bear in hot pursuit. It reared up and took a swat at him, which he fended off, suffering a scratch to the cheek.
It took off as the dogs were busy chewing on it's rear end. I asked him what kind of gun would have been a good idea. Answer - "One in my hands!" He's not handgunner and really meant his shotgun.

I'm waiting for the first report of someone dropping an aggressive bear with an 'antique' revolver. Should be a great story ......
 
"Bush packing" antiques is silly. I think it's just used as a marketing tool by some less than honest "traders" on this site.

If you think getting attacked (by anything) is a real risk then get a real gun.

I spend a ton of time in the bush, I rarely pack a gun. If you're on Vancouver island I wouldn't worry, clapping your hands will do more good than a wobbley webley.
 
Why not just use a sling shot or a nerf gun?

If you were serious about wildlife protection you would just use a .357,.44, 45-70 ect carbine or a shotgun. Im not saying an antique wont do the job but theres aa right tool for the job and thats not it. To me this sounds like you just want to carry a handgun with you and want to know which one to buy
 
No antique will stop a bear charge.

But if I'm attacked by a bear, and he's chewing on my leg, or trying to scrape my guts out, I like to think my last act would be to stick the thing in his ear (or mouth) and even things up.

Call me mean-spirited if you must, but at least I would be the grizz's last meal.
 
No antique will stop a bear charge.

But if I'm attacked by a bear, and he's chewing on my leg, or trying to scrape my guts out, I like to think my last act would be to stick the thing in his ear (or mouth) and even things up.

Call me mean-spirited if you must, but at least I would be the grizz's last meal.


Hear, Hear!
 
I'm waiting for the first report of someone dropping an aggressive bear with an 'antique' revolver. Should be a great story ......

Not an antique but I did know a fishery officer who killed a charging grizzly with a 357 mag revolver, about 20 - 25 years ago. He was stream walking to count spawning salmon at the time. Worth mentioning that he missed all but his last shot which was into the top of its head at 5 or 6 feet. I did ask him how often he shot his gun and the answer was it was the first time in 2 years

cheers mooncoon
 
My father owned a hunting lodge, so as a young girl who liked to hike in the back country on my time off, Dad had me carry an old 1851 navy colt hogs leg around. My instruction from him was to fire it into the air if I ran into a bear, wolf or got lost. I came across a few bears and wolves and even a badger once- this tactic worked every time....
Janice
 
..I would feel pretty safe with a .45ACP x 6 shots, even with the lighter load in an old Webley etc. Personally a Mars Leg in .44 or .357 is a niice compact Bush Carry gun.
 
My father owned a hunting lodge, so as a young girl who liked to hike in the back country on my time off, Dad had me carry an old 1851 navy colt hogs leg around. My instruction from him was to fire it into the air if I ran into a bear, wolf or got lost. I came across a few bears and wolves and even a badger once- this tactic worked every time....
Janice

That's a good point - in addition to possibly having the last word in an attack, an antique is the equivalent of six bear-bangers, all tee-d up and ready to go. Well, five in my case - for safety I pack it with the hammer down on a empty chamber.
 
Personally a Mars Leg in .44 or .357 is a nice compact Bush Carry gun. --- I wouldnt carry one(antique) in the bush for that purpose, but I havent looked into the ballistics to know how silly it may or may not be :p I like the .44 Magnum Mars leg as it's allot lighter then carrying a Norc. 12 Gauge 12.5 inch.(for example) & it makes me feel more than pretty safe :p
 
An original Colt Walker, loaded to the max, is said to be as close in power to a 357mag., as you're gonna get ,for an antique.
And how hard can they be to find, and carry?:rolleyes:
 
I carry a 30-30 marlin in the bush... I am really considering a mares leg.. Not because I'm worried about the a bear attack ... But that's what I'll tell the wife
 
Lots of people don't seem to like antiques for any kind of bush carry... but the simple matter is that it is legal, and an antique with appropriate full house loads is a hell of a lot more effective than a rifle left back in camp, or a shotgun still in the backpack with the box of shells closeby when you are out hiking or scouting.


Long guns mean SFA if you are not diligent and carry them all the time, which anybody who spends serious time in the bush will tell you that it becomes a burden awful fast compared to a pistol.

An antique will never compare to a long gun obviously, but it is sure a hell of a lot better than a knife or bear spray.

Just my .02.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom