what brand of gun is this?

Muin411

New member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have this 30/30 i was given a while back. i dont know any thing about it. only fired it once. bolt creeps me out.
photo4_zps0d33485b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]


 
Schmidt-Rubin M1889 action re-barreled to .30-30 with a sporterized stock.

Schmidt-Rubin_M1889_(parabellum_pl).jpg

This is what the original rifle looked like.

It was originally chambered in 7.5x55 Swiss.
a75swiss.jpg

(Newer GP11 shown)

The bolt is quite safe, you can't put it back together wrong, so no bolt-in-face incidents like with the Ross rifle.
 
Last edited:
Would the locking lugs at the rear of the bolt not make it an 1889? I'm no expert with the older rifles, I did own a K31 which was the most accurate milsurp I have ever shot.

Good catch, I didn't even look at the lugs. It is an 1889. That would also make more sense for a .30-30 conversion.
 
thank you for your info.. does this gun have any value?

It's a sporterized Schmidt with a not-pretty recoil pad. I don't want to get you down, but I'd say it's worth about $125-175. 30-30 might make it move a bit quicker, just because it's odd and the ammo is cheap and readily available.

I'd keep it and clean it up. 30-30 would recoil very mildly.
 
now to try and find a mag for it

That may prove to be difficult.

Good call on just keeping it, the sportered ones are not worth much ,especially without a mag. They are excellent firearms though. That was the original Swiss straight pull bolt action or "Schmidt-Rubin." The locking lugs are at the rear of the bolt and as such the firearm is not designed for high pressure rounds. This made them just fine for .30-30 conversions though. The Swiss eventually moved the locking lugs to the front and beefed up the action, as well as increasing the pressure of their 7.5x55 round to the modern standard to which GP-11 is made. This was the Model 1911 rifle.

Later the Swiss service rifle rifle went through a total redesign (no longer a Schmidt-Rubin) and became the ledgendary K31. The K31 is quite possibly the finest military rifle ever made. I shudder to think what one would cost if it were produced today, but the machining is fantastic. They are exceptionally accurate.
 
Back
Top Bottom