what bullets are you hunting with??

RD55

New member
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have been hunting with a muzzel loader now for the past 3 years and have been lucky enough to kill 3 deer two of which were my biggest bucks so I love shooting the smokepole now I just sold my CVA wolf and got a T/c encore which I have to get a barrel for, but I am wondering what bullet/bullets to test out and to hunt with, in the CVA I used powerbelts
and they were great, now all the hunting shows all claim to use different brands of sabot style bullets while the powerbelts are more like a rifle bullet with a small gas check ring at the tailend of the bullet so my question is......

wouldn't the power belts be more accurate because they are more like a rifle bullet??



if sabots were so accurate why are the not used in rifles??



I am intrested to hear your replies

RD
 
I use a full bore dia. bullet,.50 cal 400grain, it does not shoot as fast or as flat as the sabots I'm told. It does deliver much more knockdown then the light pistol bullets normally used in sabots. It never made much sense to me to shoot a big cal. (.50) and then handicap it by using much smaller bullets(.44 or .45).
 
I use a full bore dia. bullet,.50 cal 400grain, it does not shoot as fast or as flat as the sabots I'm told. It does deliver much more knockdown then the light pistol bullets normally used in sabots. It never made much sense to me to shoot a big cal. (.50) and then handicap it by using much smaller bullets(.44 or .45).

Bore size conicals are fine if your gun will shoot them but unfortunately, most in-lines don't shoot them well. Encores are a classic example of a rifle that won't. A fast rifling and inconsistent bore diameter is not overly conducive to bore size conicals.

Heavy weights are one way to kill but so too is wrapping a smaller projectile in copper and controling expansion. Nothing handicapped about either.....they both kill well. It just seems sabots are far more accurate out of most in-lines driving projectiles at high speeds. Speed is not a friend of lead at higher velocities either. Modern muzzleloader bullets are far from pistol bullets....Your info about most bullets in sabots being pistiol bullets is dated by about 10 years. They are designed for use in muzzleloaders and designed to perform at the speeds in-lines push them. But then again...you already knew that!

My choice is a 250 grain Shockwave.
 
250 grain Hornady SST's seemed to perform fine on whitetail deer at around 80 yards, in one side and out the other because I never hit anything harder than a rib. This was with a Savage 10MLII shooting smokeless.
 
I was using 290 grain hollow points with 100gr of tripple seven and when sighting in at 50
yrds(hunting in thick bush no need for further shots) I was touching holes, all 3 deer I shot died in sight of my stand.

so I was just wondering why so many guys are using sabots or if it was just advertising at work(that damn wild tv lol !!!)

I guess when I get the new barrel I will try the shockwaves and some others agianst the powerbelts and maybe some different powders.....

thanx RD
 
Have any of you folks had any experience with Power Belts? What were your results. I was looking at these or the Hornady SST's.
 
I'm hunting with 565gr Maxi-Hunters over 120gr of black powder in my .58 cal Hawken. They're very accurate and have huge penetration and knockdown power.

I've got some 300gr SST sabots in .50 cal for my in-line, but have not hunted with them yet.
 
I'll not fall prey to all the T.V. and magazine marketing B.S., which some fall for and indeed, repeat, a .50 cal. lead slug should put nearly anything down, real fast.
 
Have any of you folks had any experience with Power Belts? What were your results. I was looking at these or the Hornady SST's.

Having used both, I prefer the SST's for accuracy in my gun.

The powerbelts don't seemed to be as well built as SST, but I've killed deer with both.
 
I shoot 200gr Dead Center's from Precision Rifle (prbullet.com)...it a .40 cal bullet in a .50 sabot...on top of 100grains 777 FFF loose.

In a TC Encore. :cool:
 
I'll not fall prey to all the T.V. and magazine marketing B.S., which some fall for and indeed, repeat, a .50 cal. lead slug should put nearly anything down, real fast.

Got to agree with Ben here it's just that most modern inlines won't shoot a cast lead maxi hunter very well as there twist rates are too fast . I've owned a savage 110 smokless muzzel loader will shoot a saboted 300gr .45cal pistol bullet at over 2200fps . but sold it as it wasn't for me I felt like I was cheating in a primative weapons zone and I think they stray too far from the concept of a primative weapon
 
I usually use round balls in my .45 and .50. This year I might try the 400 grainers that I got off of a fellow CGNer. They seem monstrous though. On one hand I would like to see what the monster bullets would do to a heart. But on the other hand why change what's not broken?
 
Back
Top Bottom