What did I buy

gunsaholic

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
416   0   0
Howdy. I just picked this up off of the EE so many of you saw it. Bought it for a wall hanger at the cabin. It is Belgian. I know #### squat about these, lol, so my question is, what did I buy--what did this rifle start out as ? Anyone know the model? Was it originally a 2 or 3 band?
32ZJHGZ.jpg

PiWbCrl.jpg

jgLzC1I.jpg
 
Steppenwolf likely has it right. The stock at least is very definitely French military based on that cartouche. The centre of which has a plug (rosewood I think?) to prevent theft of government property. Even if you sand off the stamp there's still a big old patch of different coloured wood.
 
According to the seller it has rifling so not a smoothbore and he says the bore is .820. Of course the bore may have been altered or worn giving an inaccurate reading. I was wondering about a Belgian Tanner & Cie?
 
- Stock cartouche looks like M.B., so Manufacture de Bayonne.

- According to the seller it has rifling so not a smoothbore.

Possible, some of those were rifled after the French adopted the Minié style bullet.
 
It’s a French 1842 rifled musket. I owned one and used to shoot it. Yours has been sawed off, and they were very popular on the east coast because they were cheap.
 
These were converted to breechloading, just as Enfield rifled muskets received the Snider conversion. The Tabatiere.
Many eventually wound up as Zulu shotguns.
 
I saw the ad, my wife is from NFLD; old big bore rifles and smooth bores were used for market hunting sea birds. When he was a kid, they had two on their fishing boat; if there were a bunch of birds, on guy would shoot while the other loaded; often at salt-water ducks. That one is one of the shorter ones I have seen. Most are that rusty from the salt water. It is a great piece for the wall!
 
I saw the ad, my wife is from NFLD; old big bore rifles and smooth bores were used for market hunting sea birds. When he was a kid, they had two on their fishing boat; if there were a bunch of birds, on guy would shoot while the other loaded; often at salt-water ducks. That one is one of the shorter ones I have seen. Most are that rusty from the salt water. It is a great piece for the wall!

That fills in the puzzle. It started off life as a French 1842 rifled musket and somewhere along the line ended up in Newfoundland where it was "customized" into a market gun. Some of these guns sure have a "colorful" history. I will clean it up, maybe even see if I can get the lock to function. Thanks to all who provided useful information.
 
Back
Top Bottom