What do I have here?

helidrop

Regular
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Location
BC Rain Forest
Hello antique gun nutz, Please tell me what I have here and what you think it might be worth.

All I know is that it is a Smith & Wesson which was owned by a Mr. Ogilvie in the Yukon, before or during the gold rush. The grips were obviously hand made and are awesome!

Any info or insight is appreciated.

Thank you

IMG_0014.jpg


IMG_0015.jpg


grip1.jpg


grip2.jpg
 
Last edited:
A Smith & Wesson for sure, known as the DA Frontier or New Model Navy. Any patent dates / address on the top of the barrel? was produced startiing in the 1880s .

The grips look like locally carved grips maybe bone? . Looks like they even tried to copy the lion.

Caliber should be .44 with 6 chambers or .38 with 5 chambers.

:cheers:
 
That is obviously a very old, dangerous, and worrysome pistol you have there, I offer, this one time only, to take it off your hands so you don't have to worry anymore. I will even pay the shipping to help out a fellow nutter in such a predicament!
 
That is obviously a very old, dangerous, and worrysome pistol you have there, I offer, this one time only, to take it off your hands so you don't have to worry anymore. I will even pay the shipping to help out a fellow nutter in such a predicament!

Haha, thanks for the offer but the gun is not mine to give you. It belongs to my father in law who happens to be an Ogilvie.
 
The left plate screw is missing and the main spring screw sticking out bit too much, indicating that there may be no main spring - I have had many of those and lots of them need work because of parts missing/worn or broken. I have 2 for sale on the EE, so you get an indication of value. Not sure how to value the grips, some like them, some not, replacement grips are available.
 
Last edited:
Well, I'm one of those who like the grips. In fact, I think they are absolutely fantastic. Of course, I have an abiding interest in both Native ethnology and art as well as archery. Your FIL is a very lucky guy, you ask me. Thanks for showing it.
 
Thanks for the info Scianna54. I believe my father in law had the gun temporarily deactivated, so I'm sure he has the missing parts somewhere.

Thanks Vega, I think the grips look so cool.
 
The cylinder looks to short for it to be 44 40 its a 44 russian and a perscribed antique with nice grips.
looking at it i think its a 44 Russian model S&W DA
thats my best guess.
very collectable grips on it get the gun fixed up and hes got a nice keeper.
you can buy everything to reload and shoot 44 russian.

measure the side length of the cylinder my guess is its 1 and 7/16th

Them look like iniut carved grips they could be worth alot if there ivory tho they look like stablized walruss or whale bone. i have some simlar carveings that are stablized bone.
If the gun was fixed up to be working im sure its worth more than a couple grand with them grips.
 
A good member here says that the .44-40 version was available into the 15000's serial# and since this gun has a 18000's serial #, it is for sure a .44 Russian. I certainly hope this to be the case.
 
A good member here says that the .44-40 version was available into the 15000's serial# and since this gun has a 18000's serial #, it is for sure a .44 Russian. I certainly hope this to be the case.

Just measure the Cylinder...
just down its side not counting rear rachets or the front bushing.
If its 1 and 7/16th then its 44 R
You cant just go by the ser#s alone as the guns so old the cylinder could have been changed at any point in its past.
in a perfect world you could go by that Ser # thing but i seen to many guns changed and altered parts replaced ect.

If its the shorter cylinder which im 99% sure it is then its a 44 Russian. they never made the short cylinders in 44 40
 
Back
Top Bottom