what grain for what job?

brit84

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Location
BC
Hello,
Being fairly new to the pistol scene and seeing how many choices there are in bullet weight, I would like to ask what people gennerally use here for plain target shooting in 9mm.

I did try one box of 115gr and a box of 127gr 9mm and noticed the differences between the two as the heavier bullet shot lower than the 115 at the same distance.

Is it basically the difference in barrel lengh that demands a differnent weight bullet or just a matter of finding what shoots best?

thanks for the insight
 
Nothing to do with barrel length. Rifling twist determines what bullet weight to use but that hardly applies in handguns. Like you said, generally speaking, it's just a matter of finding what shoots best.

I'm surprised you found the heavier bullet shot lower. Should be the other way 'round.
 
In 9mm I havent noticed any difference between 115, 125 or 145gr. I think it is 145. I usually shoot 25m with it and if it groups within 3-6 inches I am happy. I usually buy what is available which is normally 115gr.
 
Is it basically the difference in barrel lengh that demands a differnent weight bullet or just a matter of finding what shoots best?
thanks for the insight

different weights are meant for different "jobs". Duty ammo in 9mm will be 147gr, as it is intended to be an incapacitating round. you want as much energy into the target as one can get. The lighter loads would be for target practice, although most people practice with the ammo they shoot at work ( similar weight).

if you are just punching paper I would really recommend 115gr. save your money and practice with what you can find cheaply. your gun might like something a little heavier, but thats up to you to discover. nothing wrong with being lighter or heavier.. just that heavier tends to cost a little more.
 
Back
Top Bottom