what grain to use??

kmgped

New member
EE Expired
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey everyone, I am new to this site and and new to owning a rifle. so I was just woundering what would be the best bullet for me and brand.
so I just bought a 270 win. and i am going to use it for moose hunting in the fall and target aswell as cyote and bear.

any help is good help
thanks
mike
 
Ive had good luck with the Hornady SST 130gr. They group well and both deer shot with it this year didnt take a step after the trigger was pulled. My 2 cents.
 
130, 140, 150 - the .270 shots all of them. My favorite this week as 135 gr sierras, before that 140 gr Barnes TSX, the season before that - Hornady 140 SST's.
 
When in doubt, err on the side of heavy for caliber bullets and you cannot go wrong. A .270 with a good 150 grain bullet will do the trick for just about anything.
 
It may sound strange but a lot of firearms perfer different cartridges of the same projectile weight. One rifle I have likes Federal and wil shoot cloverleafs, while another perfers Winchester. Buy a few boxes and try them out. Most shots will be with a cold barrel (hiking in or just waiting for a moose to show up) so try to target shoot with a cool/cold barrel. A hot barrel will hit in a different location than a cold one.
Don't worry about "5 bullets in one hole" jazz. If you can put the bullet in a 3" circle everytime you'll do. Moose are shy animals and usually taken at relatively short ranges.
I like the clay skeets personally. Set them up at varying ranges and plink away. Easy to tell if you hit them - they break.
Target shoot a lot in varying conditions.(Windy, light breeze, sunny and calm and yes, rain) When the time comes to take that meat-on-the-table shot, you'll be fine. Mostly, have fun. :D
 
Last edited:
Hey Mike
Welcome to the 270 club. For deer I use 130 grain bullets and If I am hunting moose I use 150 grain bullets.
You didn't mention if you are a reloader or not.
 
Back
Top Bottom