What is it? #1 (pics)

schick

Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Location
Saskatchewan
Would someone please tell me about this cartridge? I've never heard of a 405.

405W_2.gif


Here's the headstamp. I've never heard of Kynoch:
405W_1.gif


It looks old.
 
Teddy Roosevelt's favorite cartridge. He used it in an 1895 Winchester lever action I believe. Starting to become popular with the retro shooters again. A good cartridge for a lot of applications.

You need to splurge on a copy of Cartridges of the World.
 
As mentioned it was designed for the Winchester model 95 lever gun and came into being in 1904. Kynoch is a well known British cartridge manufacturer and made that cartridge with a 300gr bullet @ 2200 fps.

You need to splurge on a copy of Cartridges of the World.

+1 on getting a copy of this book....
 
Kynoch was a spin off of ICI (Imperial Chemical Company) - parent house of CIL (Canadian Industries Ltd) - they manufactured a bunch of cartridges for Imperial (DC Co. / CIL).
 
When a Brit says "Kynoch" it sounds just like "Canuck" ... go figure !

Ruger brought out their No. 1 in .405 Winchester a couple of years ago, and Hornady is produces factory ammo ... 300 gr. Interloks in both Flat Point and Soft Points versions.
MV 2200 fps, ME 3224 ft./lbs.
 
Damn, I loved the history behind old cartridges. You're all right, I need a good cartridge book. I'll have research the .405 Winchester now.
 
"...need a good cartridge book..." Cartridges of the World for sure. Your local gun shop or Amazon. Lots of info about the .405 Win on-line though.
 
Back
Top Bottom