What is it? #3(pics)

schick

Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Location
Saskatchewan
Here's a strange cartridge I can't identify. Anybody recognise this thing?

FN50_2.gif


Here is it's headstamp:
FN50_1.gif


Here it is sitting with some good old RG 7.62x51 :
FN50_3.gif


The bullet is almost silver in color, and obviously smaller than the 7.62. I have never seen anything like this.
 
Any way for you to measure the diameter of the bullet? Looks a lot like this 6.5x58 Mauser ('xcept for the shoulder)

6_5x58PG.jpg


But then again, a lot of other cartridges look similar. Headstamp doesn't give much info, apart from the fact that it's probably Belgian-made.
 
It can't be a 6.5X55 just because the base of this cartridge is bigger than the 7.62X51 one.
I agree with the 6.5 Carcano.
Now, to verify it, measure the following;
Base; 0.446"
Rim ; 0.450"
From base to shoulder; 1.662"
From base to start of the neck; 1.772"
Case length; 2.067"
Bullet diameter; 0.268"

If it's close to this, then that is what you get.
 
Joe might be right...

Here's a pic for comparison;

P1010025.jpg


From left to right;
7.62X51 NATO
6.5X54 M-S (If it's the one, then the bullet is 0.264")
6mm U.S. Navy (Lee)
7X57 (DM / 1899 / K - Boers)
6.5X55 (Mil)
8X57J (0.318")
 
Last edited:
6,5X55 Swedish, with the 156gr military roundnose, loaded by FN, 1950.


It can't be a 6.5X55 just because the base of this cartridge is bigger than the 7.62X51 one.

As it should be. A true 55 head is bigger than that of a 308.
 
6.5 Mannlicher Schoenauer by FN 1950, last military production of this ctg, for Greece of course.
 
Some measurements:

O.A.L.: 3.053
Bullet Diameter: 0.260
Base: 0.446
Rim: 0.449
Case Length: 2.099
Base to shoulder: Too hard to accurately measure. I get approx. 1.499
Base to start of neck: Hard to measure accurately. I get approx. 1.982


That image of the 6.5x54 m-s sure looks like the one I have.

I measured that bullet over and over and keep getting 0.260

I wonder if my caliper is off. What the hell would a 0.260 be?
 
Last edited:
Some measurements:

O.A.L.: 3.053
Bullet Diameter: 0.260
Base: 0.446
Rim: 0.449
Case Length: 2.099
Base to shoulder: Too hard to accurately measure. I get approx. 1.499
Base to start of neck: Hard to measure accurately. I get approx. 1.982


That image of the 6.5x54 m-s sure looks like the one I have.

I measured that bullet over and over and keep getting 0.260

I wonder if my caliper is off. What the hell would a 0.260 be?

Pretty darn close to Carcano dimensions......but 6.5 M-S is ssssooo close too.

I stand corrected to others here.
 
Some measurements:

O.A.L.: 3.053
Bullet Diameter: 0.260
Base: 0.446
Rim: 0.449
Case Length: 2.099
Base to shoulder: Too hard to accurately measure. I get approx. 1.499
Base to start of neck: Hard to measure accurately. I get approx. 1.982


That image of the 6.5x54 m-s sure looks like the one I have.

I measured that bullet over and over and keep getting 0.260

I wonder if my caliper is off. What the hell would a 0.260 be?

Your measurements indicate Carcano. I stand corrected also.
 
"...can't be a 6.5X55 just because the base of this cartridge is bigger than..." A 6.5 x 55 case head is bigger than a .308. 7 thou bigger.
6.5 Carcano uses a 52mm case length.
 
52mm is pretty damn close to 2.065" which is what the carcano specs at. 2.099 is likely what you get when you try to measure case length when a bullet gets in the way.....:p

The rest of his measurements are almost bang on for the carcano.
 
So th ejury is out, 52mm or 54mm. Maybe I need to try another caliper.

Either way, I am pleased CGN guys came through again and got me info so fast. I'll grab a good cartridge book soon and research some more. Thanks.
 
Back
Top Bottom