MiltonBradly
CGN Regular
- Location
- Hamilton ON
Hey all,
I recently purchased my first Antique pistol from a member on the EE... I gather it is a Belgian copy of a S&W #3 DA/SA revolver in .450CF/.450 Adams. I'm trying to figure out what the best Cartridge case to use to reload for it might be. The PO successfully used cut down .45 colt cases and I have acquired some to test with but I'm wondering if the guns chambers would be better suited to another case?
I made a quick wax cast of a chamber and the specs are as follows...
1.144" long.
~.490" at base of the cylinder.
~.485" at approximately .145" depth in from the base of the cylinder (base of the extractor star.
~.466" at the face of the cylinder.
I pushed a .452" 200g cast lead bullet for .45 colt through and measured .451" on the grooves and .442" on the lands of the 4 groove barrel. The thought of trimming the cylinder a bit and using .45 acp cases with moon clips is appealing but I'm not sure I want to go that way yet. I have just finished reworking/rebuilding to correct few mechanical faults and I'm itching to make some smoke...
...The prerequisite fashion show:...
I gather the Crown over ELG Stamp indicates the Black powder proof. I gather the Star over P is an inspection stamp from Delcommune Adolphe between 1952 and 1960 and it appears on the cylinder and right side of the frame just back from the barrel pivot. The "14" stamp I'm at a loss for... My guess is a serial/batch number perhaps as the frame also has a 14 stamp on the left side of the lower grip area and the barrel has it on just above the pivot tabs.
If anyone has any additional info I'd love to know about it!
Thanks
MB
I recently purchased my first Antique pistol from a member on the EE... I gather it is a Belgian copy of a S&W #3 DA/SA revolver in .450CF/.450 Adams. I'm trying to figure out what the best Cartridge case to use to reload for it might be. The PO successfully used cut down .45 colt cases and I have acquired some to test with but I'm wondering if the guns chambers would be better suited to another case?
I made a quick wax cast of a chamber and the specs are as follows...
1.144" long.
~.490" at base of the cylinder.
~.485" at approximately .145" depth in from the base of the cylinder (base of the extractor star.
~.466" at the face of the cylinder.
I pushed a .452" 200g cast lead bullet for .45 colt through and measured .451" on the grooves and .442" on the lands of the 4 groove barrel. The thought of trimming the cylinder a bit and using .45 acp cases with moon clips is appealing but I'm not sure I want to go that way yet. I have just finished reworking/rebuilding to correct few mechanical faults and I'm itching to make some smoke...
...The prerequisite fashion show:...
I gather the Crown over ELG Stamp indicates the Black powder proof. I gather the Star over P is an inspection stamp from Delcommune Adolphe between 1952 and 1960 and it appears on the cylinder and right side of the frame just back from the barrel pivot. The "14" stamp I'm at a loss for... My guess is a serial/batch number perhaps as the frame also has a 14 stamp on the left side of the lower grip area and the barrel has it on just above the pivot tabs.
If anyone has any additional info I'd love to know about it!
Thanks
MB




























after surfing all over the net for pic's and info I thought the third model was the only sa/da model...





















