I've heard you can shoot wolf LRN from them. Have you ever tried wolf LRN?
It's true.
I wouldn't suggest it though, and there are several reason why.
- The lead used is too hard, and the projectiles are .452 dia. This means that they are quite under sized without the chance of it being able to be flattened out during firing. I had some horrendous strings fired at even 10 FT, with both the SWC and LRN bullets. One shot would be 4 inches high to the right, the next would be high to the center, it would just track all over the place. At one point I was about to sell it, as I had no interest in a gun that was key holing @ 20M.
- They are VERY dirty. I never got full powder burn off in my Webley.
- Some say they are unsafe to shoot. I tent to disagree based on the chrony readings I was getting, they are a tad high (710 FPS)
Based on the loose throat of the Webley, and the lack of powder burn off I was getting.
Honestly, it *CAN* be pretty cheap to reload, if you want it to be. I think everyone will agree when antiques and ammo for them are brought up.
In fact, I always wanted to get into reloading, but getting antique pistols is what sent me over the edge into buying a Hornady AP.
If that is the case, and you want to reload; I can put you in touch with two people I buy my projectiles with who do a fantastic job at it, both are members of this site.
Now that I make my own, it shoots very well. Was ringing my 4'' AR500 popper @ 60 yards constantly with a gun that is 100 years older than I am. Quite a feeling.