What is this chemical

canuck2a

Member
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I asked this on another forum and no one really has an answer so figured i would try here. I inherited a black powder rifle and all the items to go along with shooting, loading it. Have yet to do so.

But there is a yellow bottle with a white lid. The only english on it says nippon gakki co., ltd Everything else on the bottle is in japanese but does contain a picture of a piano. The chemical inside is similar to a really thing milk, with little or no odour. The wife thinks it might have a smal hint of lemon.

I figure it must be a wood or metal polish of some sort. It has been suggested to me that it could also be home made moose milk.

Anyway figure some one here would probably know so thanks in advance.
 
It's definitely instrument cleaner and polisher. My brother had some years back , not sure the brand but it was milky with a hint of a citrus smell as well.
 
I had some of that stuff given to me many years ago. It worked every bit as good as "Spit Patch" for lubing the patches. I liked it and after I used it up, couldn't find any more so went back to Spit Patch.
 
I would bet it is home-made Moose Milk patch lube. Some recipes have Pine Sol, Lestoil and/or Murphy's Oil Soap that might account for the smell/taste. Put some on a patch and try to ignite it. If it won't burn in a few seconds I would use it as patch lube or simply discard it and make your own patch lube.
 
I would bet it is home-made Moose Milk patch lube. Some recipes have Pine Sol, Lestoil and/or Murphy's Oil Soap that might account for the smell/taste. Put some on a patch and try to ignite it. If it won't burn in a few seconds I would use it as patch lube or simply discard it and make your own patch lube.

If it's the same stuff I had, it is great for breaking down carbon such as the type you find on electrical contacts. It was one of the best off the shelf products I have used for patch lube.
 
Thanks for replies. I will try lighting it. But probably chuck it out. Mostly just curious as it came with the gun and all supplies when I inherited it just thought it would be neat to find out.

Thanks
 
Back
Top Bottom