What Is This Lever Action Rifle?

I believe the magazine hanger is in an odd place for a rifle - too far forward.

Lookee here:

Winchester_Model_1894_zpsddcd9b85.jpg


vs.

CameraZOOM-20130508131859444.jpg


I wonder if someone chopped the last two inches off her at some point. Does the muzzle show any signs of "circumcision"?
 
Last edited:
What a GREAT project!!

I have been trying to find a old receiver or rusty project rifle like this for YEARS.

You can easily find new butt and fore stock, carefully strip the old girl "mark all the parts" and go about stripping all the paint and repairing and replacing the bits that need it.

FANTASTIC, I look forward to watching the progress!
 
Dark Alley is correct. The barrel has been cut off. The mag. hanger should be around 3 1/4 inches from the muzzle, looks like it has had a couple inches plus lopped off.
 
Thank God Numrich has replacement barrels and mag tubes. If you want to sink SERIOUS money into her, that is...

Shortening 94 Winchesters seems to have been something of a mania way back when. We have a takedown in 30 WCF that was bucked back about 8 inches, leaving the coarsest, clubbiest, least-graceful rifle imaginable, all without the mag hanger present, so the mag tube kinda droops like a moderately disinterested groom. The rest of the rifle is actually pretty good. Were our rifle intact, it'd be worth some coin. As she sits now, she's either a candidate for substantial expensive restoration or a very tight parts gun.

We've given some thought to sending it to Turnbull for the "full meal deal". I have two kidneys, only really need one, and the boy is likely worth something on the slave market...
 
Last edited:
Still exists. It is at our farm and I haven't been there since posting these pics. When I get there I will get the serial # for more information and post it here. Still not sure what to do with this one. New barrel and remove the paint?

J
 
That paint has got to go, man - that's a for-sure. For the sake of all that's holy and good.

New barrel? That's optional. If the abbreviated tube has a good bore and the crown is either good or can be made good, I'd leave it as-is, were it mine. It's not unattractive, and it'll never be factory again. If it functions and looks half-decent...
 
As already mentioned, hit it with furniture stripper.

I have had to remove paint a number of times, works slick, does not affect metal finish at all.

Stuff I use is Circa 1850.

Slap it on with a brush. Let it sit for a bit. Scrap it off with a piece of stiff plastic while still wet.

You can use a brass wire brush on the more stubborn spots.

Might as well hit the stock at the same time.
 
That paint has got to go, man - that's a for-sure. For the sake of all that's holy and good.

New barrel? That's optional. If the abbreviated tube has a good bore and the crown is either good or can be made good, I'd leave it as-is, were it mine. It's not unattractive, and it'll never be factory again. If it functions and looks half-decent...

Lol. Yeah, we cringe every time we look at it.

As already mentioned, hit it with furniture stripper.

I have had to remove paint a number of times, works slick, does not affect metal finish at all.

Stuff I use is Circa 1850.

Slap it on with a brush. Let it sit for a bit. Scrap it off with a piece of stiff plastic while still wet.

You can use a brass wire brush on the more stubborn spots.

Might as well hit the stock at the same time.

I will start with getting that paint off and see what is under the tape.

Thanks guys. Sorry for the long wait on what is under there.

J
 
Hey, a relative just came in from the farm and brought a couple more findings from out there. Unfortunately they didn't bring the Winchester. Top one is an Anschutz model 25 and the bottom (as you all would know) is a Cooey model 64. Both a bit rough. Someone out there was hard on their guns.

22s.jpg


I may have to refurb the Anschutz first.

J
 
Those CIL/Anshutz guns are frickin' death rays. SCARY accurate for a cheapish rifle. Please do something kind for the poor thing.

The 64B should be the Official National .22 of Canada.
 
I have to agree with Bigbore on this one as well.There are some aircraft grade strippers we used to use at work . I'll check next week for the brand and if it is still on the market as a lot has changed due to environmental issues.We could only get in gallon cans which is a drawback for one project.I had a model 94 about 34 years ago that had some rust issues.Harkley and Heywood replaced the rifle for me as they said the receiver was an alloy and couldn't be reblued.So it would be interesting what can be done with your project.The stripper was always a good way to go for me in the past.If you don't get the result you want you can always try blasting it afterwards .Blasting or beading right off the bat is kind of going past the point of no return .The alloy thing will be the hurdle I think.I've had my Ruger model 77 done three times and they have never done anything to the receiver on it for the same reason...
 
Finally checked into that paint stripper.The product I used was made by Mar-Hyde called TAL-STRIP II, no 3713. Like I said it worked great but I have only seen it in 3.7 L jugs.I gave some to a gun shop owner years ago who had a polyurethane finished stock and couldn't get the stuff out of the checkering.This worked really well for him he told me.Toxic stuff though,you have to careful on how you use it.Good luck!!!
 
Back
Top Bottom