What is this shotgun and value? thanks! PiCS

combines44

Member
Rating - 99.7%
354   1   2
Location
New Brunswick
This is a buddies....all he can tell me is "14 gauge double barrel made prior to 1893 in belgium.... could possible be as old as 1620...17.6 means 14 gauge 1878 to 1893 I think?" Any help on info, age, value...etc?? thanks!

, , , , , ,
 
Looks to be a generic Belgian double of the type made and exported in the countless thousands during the latter third of the 19th century and the first part of the 20th.
Its value is going to be nominal. Looks to be in betterIf it is sound, with good bores, it might be of interest to a shooter who is prepared to play with 14ga.
Up to $200 perhaps, depending on condition when examined.
 
I am afraid that you did not show the only photo that is critical for the barrels ---- the bottom flats of the breach end of the barrels. For age you need a oval cartouche with ELG* inside and no crown over the cartouche, to make it pre 1893. The perron on the water table I think was used for some time after 1893. The guage as determined by the 17.6 I think works out to about .71" which is 12 guage (if I converted from metric to imperial correctly). Regardless, the critical feature is not the bore but the chamber dimension. It is common to find english guns which are 12 guage chambers but bored 13 guage breach and 15 guage muzzle. Also if the gun is choked it would approximately be post 1875 and the choking if present might be stamped on the barrels at the breach.

cheers mooncoon
 
17.6 converts to .6929 when I do the math which is 14 gauge. However, as mentioned, that may be the bore size and not chamber size. Will a 12 gauge fit in the chamber? I had an old Scottish double that was 12 gauge but had 14 gauge bores. Value, as mentioned, is $200.00 give or take depending upon shooting ability.
 
200 is right; sorry to agree with the crowd OP
If you thought that you had a 'One of a Thousand' and it was worth the price of a new truck...umm, no.
Just an old Belgian, nice shape...but little value.
I gave the neighbour a 10 gauge that was in a little worse shape; a wall hanger for his shop
 
For clarification this' the kind of gun commonly found in the 1620's

786_Full_Stock_Web.jpg



Jokes aside - the browning on the back of the barrels looks nice. Any markers information and photos of the underside of the barrels with markings are really needed. Photos of the bores as well. I'd echo everyone else - if it lock up tight and has no damage, a $200 gun. Less if there are issues or missing parts.
 
ha ha....thanks guys! I'm just going by what my buddy is saying as he did some research online. I told him most of this old stuff was not valuable! lol And Tiriaq....I meant no offense at all and thanks for your help!
 
here is another pic he just gave me.....any better? Any more info? thanks! He also said his research shows it was made between 1878-1893 for sure ha ha
 
Last edited:
We can narrow the date down a little closer; the oval cartouche without a crown is before 1893 and the "not for ball" is after 1875 and I think before 1885. Prior to that date people shot round ball out of their guns, at large game and shot for birds. The not for ball was to indicate the gun was choked. Final point is that to determine what guage the gun is chambered for, you would be best to see what is the biggest guage cartridge will fit in the chamber; I am guessing 12 guage. Length of the chamber is perhaps most easily measured by making a dowel the diameter of the appropriate shell and sliding it into the chamber until it stops without using force. My guess is that it is probably 2 5/8" and was made for roll crimp shells. If so you can use plastic 2 3/4" shells but not paper shells.

finally, if the bores are good and the gun is tight, I would probably put the price at around $250 locally. If you were to remove the locks and compare their inner workings with those of a english gun, you would find them functional but far less finished that the english locks; hence the lower value of the gun

cheers mooncoon
 
that is all greek to me....ha ha I just wanted info, brand, age, value. Its not my gun and I'm not into old guns that I cannot use! thanks! I guess gun is in mint condition with mirror bores...
 
Back
Top Bottom