What is this thing (some sort of old turkish pistol)

cody c

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Location
calgary
Hello, anyone know what this thing is, and if it would be considered an antique, my uncle brought it back from turkey 30 years ago, I believe he was told it was from somewhere in the 1700's and its purpose was a military pistol.






The uncle who owns it wants to hand it down to me, what should I be insuring it for, is it infact an antique (don't have a restricted PAL) any other info on this?

Please and thanks and have a great day!
 
To me it has the appearance of a tourist wall-hanger, rather than a genuinely martial pistol of any kind. It appears to be a blunderbuss pistol, not the type of arm carried by a soldier or officer of the Ottoman empire. The breech end of the barrel appears to have detail cast in...hmmmm.

tac
 


Another picture (photobucket is slow, and kind of a pain)

Anyways, I was hoping it wouldn't be a re-production as it was purchased 30+ years ago, but as above about the detail cast in, looks like it's not restricted.
 
Last edited:
I'd bet that its a reproduction of some sort as well.I would be amazed if it turned out to be genuine. The odds of finding an authentic piece from that era would be very rare. Hopefully someone with more info will chime in soon.
 
I'd bet that its a reproduction of some sort as well.I would be amazed if it turned out to be genuine. The odds of finding an authentic piece from that era would be very rare. Hopefully someone with more info will chime in soon.

Thanks, now I'm scared to ask what the uncle paid for it, he would have been working from vancouver travelling to Turkey as a chemical engineer there back then, I'm guessing he had some free cash to spend.
 
check the barrel and outside lock parts with a magnet; the barrel in particular looks like it was made out of spelter (pot metal). Without seeing it in person, I would go along with the others who think it is a non gun and a wall hanger

cheers mooncoon
 
check the barrel and outside lock parts with a magnet; the barrel in particular looks like it was made out of spelter (pot metal). Without seeing it in person, I would go along with the others who think it is a non gun and a wall hanger

cheers mooncoon

This ... looks like what was sold in the markets to folks throughout middle-east, seen lots of them.
 
This ... looks like what was sold in the markets to folks throughout middle-east, seen lots of them.

This. When I was living in Ankara in the early 70's courtesy of Her Majesty [who insisted on me learning Turkish] I used to pass such a store on my way to day-school, filled to the rafters with things like this. The sign on the wall above them read - 'Bu silahlar tekrarlamalı ve mühimmat ateş kullanılamaz' - 'These replication must not be used to shoot real ammunition.'

tac
 
Back
Top Bottom