What is this?

magnum13

New member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked up my first antique during a trip to France. Found it in an antique shop in a small town in the south called Uzes. Owner had pretty decent collection but didn't speak english. The only communication I could get was the approximate year he thought it was made (1830's) and the price (obviously). The only markings I could find on the gun were just under the barrel. I'm a complete newbie when it comes to antiques so any information on this would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

D8GvuKR.jpg

z7wMSVZ.jpg

ygA5WjR.jpg

wbdKclN.jpg

nzn4oQe.jpg

hjI0XIe.jpg

1DgPC44.jpg

aSqRD2h.jpg
 
Definitely a pinfire something or other, lol. You can order reloading supplies for it from the UK if your so inclined and determine it is safe to shoot.

ht tp://www.henrykrank.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=164_199_203
 
My guess would be made in Belgium and I would put the date in the 1850 - 1870 range. If there is a proof mark on it, it should be an oval with the letters ELG and a * If my memory is correct, the pinfire was introduced in 1847 and I doubt that many were made after the 1870s

cheers mooncoon
 
cool piece has that slideing safty plate on the back end of the barrels so the hammers wont hit the pins on the pin fire cases, so i think its newer than 1830s id guess late 1850s. its for sure pre 1898 no worries there.
looks to be in a big caliber to.
look under the barrels for proofmarks.
 
Yes, I posted these around Christmas- it was a gift from Smellie (the dear, dear man) Mine is marked H.Holland. Nice engraving, ebony wood handle, Damascus Barrels. I just love it!
Mine has a lever under the barrels to allow one to "break" it open.( like the old shot guns.)

janice


























 
Last edited:
We paid 375 plus shipping for Janice's, but it IS a genuine Harris Holland, even if likely made in Belgium or France and completed in London.

Weather gets away from this Fimbulwinter idea it seems to be operating on, I can get to work on some half-inch rod and make a handful of cartridges for it. Thinking I might use mild-steel with a reduced powder-chamber, keep stresses on that 160-year-old barrel assembly to a minimum. No need to overpower the old thing; just want to hear it go "BOOP!" a couple times.

Depending on how much you want one, I would think between 150 and 350 should net you one. I know that if I had a bucketful of them (which I have not), I certainly wouldn't let one out the door under 150: just too darned NEAT.

I think one of these could be tremendous fun.

In the meantime, I guess I'm stuck with this brand-new 1916 Luger.......
 
Hey, magnum13-

I just noticed this is your first post (I am a little dense)
Welcome to the forum, I hope you come back often and show us more little treasures. It is nice to see some one else has good taste.
janice
 
I missed that, too: must be getting old or something.

Welcome aboard, MAGNUM13!

We have a lot of fun here and you know the old saying: the more the merrier!
 
15mm pin fire. There is no ammo available for this pistol. Most likley Belguim made.
They have no markings other than a number under the barrel.

I have one very similar. Value anywhere from $100 to $500 depending on condition and if it functions properly.


Just picked up my first antique during a trip to France. Found it in an antique shop in a small town in the south called Uzes. Owner had pretty decent collection but didn't speak english. The only communication I could get was the approximate year he thought it was made (1830's) and the price (obviously). The only markings I could find on the gun were just under the barrel. I'm a complete newbie when it comes to antiques so any information on this would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

]
 
Back
Top Bottom