what is this?

jogforfun

Regular
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Location
Langley BC
I got this old muzzle loader and I am not finding much info on the NET. It is marked japan 3005 with a makers mark (several rolls of slashes making a circle design) and marked with a us on the other side. I am possibly looking to get the frizzen replaced on it. And of course wanting to know what it is worth and if it is worth getting a replacement frizzen. I have photos but I have having trouble uploading them can email.

thank you for your help.
 
I think some muzzle loaders were made in Japan under the name of Jukar and as I recall comments on them suggested they were fairly economy grade guns. If the frizzen is not sparking, it could either be a dull flint or that the frizzen needs to be re case hardened

cheers mooncoon
 
You could Try this to harden your frizzen:

Get a tin can, Take the frizzen and roll it up in scraps of leather, good and tight, bundled up well to keep it from oxidizing. Stick it in the tin can, crush the can shut on the end to close it up. Stick it in a fire pit for around an hour or so and then take it out and submerse it in cool bucket of water until the frizzen is cold.

Take it out, clean it off and oil it what have you and it should spark well.

Just from what I'v seen online, have not done it myself yet but from comments others say it works well. I will be doing this when my flinters hammers get soft.
 
Get a tin can, Take the frizzen and roll it up in scraps of leather, good and tight, bundled up well to keep it from oxidizing.
.

I think you would a lot farther ahead to use Kasenite. Heat the frizzen red hot and cover the striking face with Kasenite and keep it red hot covered by Kasenite for at least 3 minutes using a clock. (time goes slowly like waiting for a pot to boil) Quench into water and polish the striking surface bright enough to see colour and draw to brown in colour. I believe the carbon is supposed to penetrate about .001" or .002" per minute

cheers mooncoon
 
So I obviously know nothing about muzzle loaders. The part that is broken is the is the part that covers the powder and is pushed out of the way as the flint strikes.
 
So I obviously know nothing about muzzle loaders. The part that is broken is the is the part that covers the powder and is pushed out of the way as the flint strikes.

Yes that is the frizzen.

I think you would a lot farther ahead to use Kasenite. Heat the frizzen red hot and cover the striking face with Kasenite and keep it red hot covered by Kasenite for at least 3 minutes using a clock. (time goes slowly like waiting for a pot to boil) Quench into water and polish the striking surface bright enough to see colour and draw to brown in colour. I believe the carbon is supposed to penetrate about .001" or .002" per minute

cheers mooncoon
Thanks for the detailed input, I have saved this in my documents.
 
That is the frizzen, at one time called the hammer. It produces the sparks when struck by the flint. BTW, what we call the hammer today (the part that holds the flint) was at one time called the ####. If your frizzen is intact, it should be L shaped with the bottom leg covering the pan. The flint strikes the upright arm.
 
Well based on some further research it looks like an Ultra-Hi Minute Man sold by Dixie Gun Works in the 60s. You need to check it very carefully because some of those muskets had two piece barrels that screwed together at the transition from octagon to round and a tack welded breech plug. Run a tight fitting patch down the barrel and if you feel any resistance at the area where the barrel may have been screwed together, I would recommend hanging it on the wall and not shooting it.
 
I think this will be a wall hanger for sure the frizzen is broke off so will is it worth buying a new frizzen? I have really no idea of the value of gun whatsoever?
 
If they did work for one of CVA's suppliers, I am willing to bet CVA has the part on hand or one of the parts they offer will fit. Check out Numrich Arms for the CVA rifle parts.
 
Back
Top Bottom