exseparatist
CGN Regular
- Location
- Lower Canada
Hi !
Last december I got, form a GCN member, this nice custom Remington rolling block in 45-70, assembled on an antique action. The seller told me that he was the first rifle owner and that he shot only 100 bpc. My intention was to shoot only soft reload at black powder pressure.


The problem is when I inspected the gun, I saw a little gap when the breach gate is closed and the hammer is down. On the pic, I loaded an empty brass and placed the hammer in safe position, the breech is locked. IN THIS CONDITION, I AM ABLE TO INSERT 0.030'' OF FILLER GAUGES.



My questions are;
- Is it dangerous to shoot or this kind of gap is normal and acceptable ?
- Is is preferable to send my rifle to a qualifyed gunsmith ?
- Do someone can gime me the name of an expert in rolling block ? I am located near Montreal.
Thank you
Louis
Last december I got, form a GCN member, this nice custom Remington rolling block in 45-70, assembled on an antique action. The seller told me that he was the first rifle owner and that he shot only 100 bpc. My intention was to shoot only soft reload at black powder pressure.


The problem is when I inspected the gun, I saw a little gap when the breach gate is closed and the hammer is down. On the pic, I loaded an empty brass and placed the hammer in safe position, the breech is locked. IN THIS CONDITION, I AM ABLE TO INSERT 0.030'' OF FILLER GAUGES.



My questions are;
- Is it dangerous to shoot or this kind of gap is normal and acceptable ?
- Is is preferable to send my rifle to a qualifyed gunsmith ?
- Do someone can gime me the name of an expert in rolling block ? I am located near Montreal.
Thank you
Louis
Last edited:


















































