What kind of muzzle velocities are you getting with your big bore flintlocks.

Tyockell18

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
138   0   0
Location
Not really sure.
I don't own a chrony unfortunately.

I'm wondering if any of you guys out there with your .69's and .75's have bothered to chrony your round balls.

What kinda charges were you using. Is it possible to get those big .75 cal balls up to super sonic with safe pressures or no?

I hear you can reliably do it with the .69's.

Look forward to hearing your experiences.
 
I just checked Wikipedia; the speed of sound is 1122 ft per sec. While I suspect most of the large calibers are probably not loaded to over 13 or 1400 fps, I also suspect most are running 1100 - 1200 fps which means that most would be supersonic. I have chronographed black powder shotgun loads and 80 grains of 2F and 1 oz of shot came out at 1050 fps

cheers mooncoon
 
In Sam Fadala's "Black Powder Loading Manual" he tests a large bore flintlock.

A .74 cal Brown Bess with a .690 ball and 80 grs of Fg produced 809 fps.
 
Welp, not sure the velocity was but this was a .735 patched round ball with 80gr's of Goex 2F.

I really need a chrony....

Wacked this piece of hardwood pretty good and split it.



 
Welp, not sure the velocity was but this was a .735 patched round ball with 80gr's of Goex 2F.

I really need a chrony....

Wacked this piece of hardwood pretty good and split it.




Nice flinter! What is it, and what is the overall length of that beast? It looks pretty compact.?
 
Nice flinter! What is it, and what is the overall length of that beast? It looks pretty compact.?

Thanks, glad you like it, I really do to.

It's the Early British Sea Service musket, a plain jane cut down version of the Brown bess. I got it from Loyaist Arms in Nova Scotia, it works excellent, no complaints.

They did a very good job tuning and hardening the lock, frizzen ect. provided the flint is good, it goes bang every time.

When I get home I will measure the gun and let you know.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom