what powder for .45 rifle?

Rickyy101

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Location
Ottawa
Got my hands on a .45 percussion muzzleloader and was wondering what F goex I should be looking for? my other muzzleloader takes musket caps, but they are way too big for this rifle. any guesses on what caps it should take? Thanks!
 
I have a CVA .45 cal and use Goex FFFG and a #11 CCI or Remington cap,I also have cap and ball revolvers which take the FFFG grain size which is why I use it in my rifle as well.
 
I have 2 .45 rifles. I prefer to shoot Goex fff as it seems to burn marginally more efficient than the Goex ff which I'll use in a pinch.

I also shoot between 60 and 80 grains of powder behind a patched round ball.

The difference between ff & fff is so slight that there really isn't much of one IMHO

#11 caps as well
 
To echo what has already been said, FFg or FFFg will both work just fine. Use what you already have for the musket.

#11 caps are pretty well universal for rifles but #10 might work if that thats all you can find. Just a little tighter fitting.
 
As far as powders, you would be good with either ffG or fffG. I have several 45's, most are caplocks, but a few flinchlocks, and they shoot a little better with 3f, especially if you are using light round ball loads. BTW, I found that in all my 45's, accuracy deteriorates rapidly with loads over 70 gr. For caps, no. 11 are the standard, but 10's will work just as well. No need for the more expensive "magnum" caps, in my experience.
 
Back
Top Bottom