What should I sell this T/C Plains Sporter caplock for?

TheCoachZed

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
.50 cal caplock, kept in elderly man's basement. Exterior metal is corroded in places, but not too bad where it matters, and I think the bore is OK. Everything seems to function as it should. Needs to be sold off for his daughter's. What should I ask? I know nothing about caplock prices.

Pix are here and I cant get them to flip right way up.

Muzzleloader https://imgur.com/a/DmTwp4u
 
I'd say you could probably get a couple of hundred for it. It's not in perfect condition, and they weren't that expensive to start with. I'd be curious what the bore looks like.

Or keep it, and drop 80-100gr fffg, and a 350-370gr lead ball, and have some fun with it.
 
The bore us gonna be a big deal. If fouling was present before the rust outside started the bore is likely in as bad shape. Run a wet patch down it and see if the patch black or orange. Take a pic of the patch for the for sale ad. Black patch - 250 to 300. Orange patch - 200 to 250.
 
Not a model I'm familiar with but it doesn't look too bad outside. With the shotgun butt pad and round barrel I'm assuming it's got fast rifling for Maxi or sabots. Also has a set trigger and the fancy dress opposite the lock.

If you can get $350-400 you would be doing okay. Muzzleloaders aren't quick movers often times.
 
The bore us gonna be a big deal. If fouling was present before the rust outside started the bore is likely in as bad shape. Run a wet patch down it and see if the patch black or orange. Take a pic of the patch for the for sale ad. Black patch - 250 to 300. Orange patch - 200 to 250.

Bore seems good. My guess is, was fired and bore buttered or whatever, then put away. Outside of gun rusted from handling, etc. Inside was OK.
 
Not a model I'm familiar with but it doesn't look too bad outside. With the shotgun butt pad and round barrel I'm assuming it's got fast rifling for Maxi or sabots. Also has a set trigger and the fancy dress opposite the lock.

If you can get $350-400 you would be doing okay. Muzzleloaders aren't quick movers often times.

I missed the set trigger when I looked at it! I didn't think they came with set triggers. Interesting...
These were only made for a couple of years, 1992-1994 ish. They are a 1:48 twist. Same gun as the T/C New Englander (different stock). People seem to like to use patch and ball with them out to 50 yards.
 
Back
Top Bottom