The ring is cut out now, so what I say has more to do with other ringed barrels. There are a lot of old Winchesters being used today that have one or two rings in the barrel. It is extremely unlikely a ringed barrel will blow up, especially if the ring is forward of the throat where pressure is dropping very rapidly as the bullet moves down the barrel. I have had one or two with small rings and have not even noticed an accuracy problem. That being said, if a fellow is selling a gun with a ringed barrel, I would jolly well want to know about it ahead of time. Also, what I said above is not applicable to modern rifles that operate at much higher pressures. I would recommend the barrel be replaced in those circumstances (or cut down if the ring is close to the muzzle).