What were the first affordable .375 H&H's built on action wise?

Ardent

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
818   0   2
Seeing as the .375 H&H generally requires a rare and expensive magnum Mauser action, what were the first .375 H&H's a (well heeled, but not absurdly) layman could own built on action wise? Aside from Holland & Hollands, etc, were there any field grade commercial .375's in the post WWI to just prior to the depression era?
 
I was thinking the M70, but there were first year M70 .375's? (1936, still after the time frame I'm curious about) That's a surprise to me, didn't know they were made pre-1940. Still wondering if there was anything early interwar, that wasn't an English or German high end sporting rifle.

As for the standard Mauser, it doesn't fit a .375 H&H well, and the action gets weakened substantially due to all the metal milled out, so I won't count this action.
 
sunray, that's means nothing to me and I find myself confused why you commented. I read some comments about 1920's working man's .375 H&H's and as an avid .375 hunter it got me curious as to what these could be. I wasn't aware any existed as non-customs.

Not looking to build, set up well in .375. Interest is purely historical.
 
Anything over 25 years old is an antique in the legal definition

I am assuming your leg pulling but I'll bite. In the car world 25 years might be considered antique (on account of the crap produced )but in the firearms world you need a bit more chance to aqquire patina then 25 years.

LOL now I understand why when ever I see 'antique' furniture for sale at ridiculous prices in alberta it is 1970s Sears stuff.

Now a 303-.375 on a martini action might be interesting................
 
I think the question has been answered already, Win. 70 in the 1930's. Jack O'Connor did a bit about the introduction of the .375 in the model 70 in his old book, The Hunting Rifle.
He said it changed owning a .375 from an expensive custom proposition to one within reach of the middle class.
 
Back
Top Bottom