What yardage to zero in at?

kwmack

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Location
Eastern Ontario
Hey...just wondering at what distance some of you inline shooters zero your rifles in at if hunting out of a tree stand but planning to do a bit of walking while hunting too? I've always sighted most cartridge rifles at 1 inch at 100yds but I'm still relatively new to the black powder. Thanks!
 
I go dead beans at 100 , not much need for more as I don't plan on shooting past that if need be I can raise my POA , 1" high or dead on @ 100 won't change a lot in my situation just how I do it.

That being said , it is lethal past 200 and accurate.
 
Depends on where your stand is from where you expect (X) to show up. To a lesser extent, it also matters what you mean by BP. If you're shooting a breech loading rifle with optics that's fired with shotgun primers, that's not a BP muzzle loader imho and your 1" at 100 yards would apply.
Conversely, if your talking about a true muzzle loader (PRB) or (boolit) then to make an ethical shot, you ought to be well within 75 yards. The arm is lethal well beyond that so bear in mind a back stop (when you're on the ground and not in the stand) as it is not uncommon for the projectile to pass through large game even after contacting large bone (like shoulder blades). I would zero in the sights at 50 yards for this type of rifle...and would not shoot at anything past 75 yards (fear of bad placement on my end).{I can routinely make hits on man sized "pop-up" (3 sec) moving targets at 300 meters, prone with a bolt action rifle}:redface:

What type of rifle (musket?) are you using?
What is the caliber?
What is the projectile type and weight?
What is the powder load you're using?
Where are you hunting?
 
Depends on where your stand is from where you expect (X) to show up. To a lesser extent, it also matters what you mean by BP. If you're shooting a breech loading rifle with optics that's fired with shotgun primers, that's not a BP muzzle loader imho and your 1" at 100 yards would apply.
Conversely, if your talking about a true muzzle loader (PRB) or (boolit) then to make an ethical shot, you ought to be well within 75 yards. The arm is lethal well beyond that so bear in mind a back stop (when you're on the ground and not in the stand) as it is not uncommon for the projectile to pass through large game even after contacting large bone (like shoulder blades). I would zero in the sights at 50 yards for this type of rifle...and would not shoot at anything past 75 yards (fear of bad placement on my end).{I can routinely make hits on man sized "pop-up" (3 sec) moving targets at 300 meters, prone with a bolt action rifle}:redface:

What type of rifle (musket?) are you using?
What is the caliber?
What is the projectile type and weight?
What is the powder load you're using?
Where are you hunting?

It is a shotgun primered (209) 50 cal CVA Wolf loaded with 100-120gr either loose or pellet powder with Powerbelt projectiles.
 
It is a shotgun primered (209) 50 cal CVA Wolf loaded with 100-120gr either loose or pellet powder with Powerbelt projectiles.

A touch of the ' Difference in old school vs new ' right there...I'm guilty of it myself now and again.
And no advice, but good luck hunting anyhow.
Cheers
Tokguy
 
Will you be using a scope or irons?
I use both but for different hunting applications. Either or , I would practice shooting from higher elevation than the shooting bench to se where projectile hits target. It could very well shoot right over your target at 25-30 ft up or worse wound your animal.
Just my .02 cents
 
100yards is far enough ..don't use anything above 250 gr .bullets ...use T7 pellets 2 pellets is more than enough ..easy to clean with hot water and liquid soap ..

i use BARNES EXPANDER bullets ..

 
I use a 195grn Precision Rifle pure lead Duplex bullet. 100 grns FFFgT7, Small rifle primer, Sighted dead nuts at 50yds. No less than 4" drop at 175yds out of a TC Encore. Have shot deer from 2 to 125 yds and all shots have been pass through with devastating results. The lead hits hard to say the least and I have run a lot of different bullets and loads over the years
 
For my AR, the sights are normally zeroed at 100m/yards. I shoot at an indoor range with only 25m available. You can find a zeroing target that gives you the same effect at 25m by using a smaller target, which can be printed on standard 8-1/2x11 printer paper. I have to zero a scope on my AR on my next visit. I'll use the same target for that.

https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=15&t=250839
 
300 gr XTP, MMP Short sabots (Black), 90 gr T7, 2" high @ 100 yards. My Knight has knocked down everything from Gophers to Moose with this combo (even out to 250 yds ....not the gopher obviously)
 
Back
Top Bottom