What's a shootable antique flintlock pistol worth?

Suther

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Location
Fraser Valley
I've always wanted a muzzle loading pistol, of the flintlock (or cap and ball, etc) variety, A single shot black powder muzzle loader of some sort. I've seen reproductions as cheap as $400, but they don't carry the same sort of "not a gun" exemptions that reproduction flintlock rifles carry, so this got me wondering what's a real antique worth? Is a real antique muzzle loading pistol actually something I can go shoot regularly, say a 4 times a year and a dozen shots each time? Or did the muzzle loading pistol fall out of favour too soon and the available specimens not suited for daily shooting? The goal would be something I can take out and shoot with friends a few times a year, and be able to shoot that gun year after year for some time.

I'm not in any financial situation to buy now, but figured it wouldn't hurt to get a bit more info about the whole idea and see if it's just a pipe dream or actually something attainable. Thanks!
 
The question is what is it likely to cost. A lot of that is how rigid you are in your criteria of what you want. A British or American flint pistol will probably cost the most and in shooting condition anywhere fro $600 on up if it is any sort of reasonable condition. Cheapest are flintlocks from India and Turkey and they might run from $150 to $300 or so. A big part of the equation is the barrel. A great many guns from the early 1800s to my eyes are large caliber with thin barrels and I would hesitate to shoot them. Also many originals have mechanical problems such as worn / broken sears, missing or broken springs etc. To be economical, you have to be able to make the parts and repair them

cheers mooncoon
 
Shootable antique flintlock pistols are not common.

Shootable antique cap and ball revolvers can be found in the $1200 range. They are a lot of fun.
 
I have bought many pistols c&b antique 36 / 44 double / 45 / 58 double / 69 cal, all were check for operation with moderate loads, all function proprely.
Barrel lenght is 3 inch to 9 inch.

Prices varied from 450.00 to 650.00.
Those bring a huge fun factor
 
Last edited:
There really isn't any one answer to the question asked by the OP.
The price will depend on the actual pistol involved.
A little Belgian or American boxlock percussion pistol might be had for a couple of hundred. A fine British flintlock duelling pistol would sell for thousands.
 
There really isn't any one answer to the question asked by the OP.
The price will depend on the actual pistol involved.
A little Belgian or American boxlock percussion pistol might be had for a couple of hundred. A fine British flintlock duelling pistol would sell for thousands.

My C&B 45 cal has a 3.5 inch spring loaded bayonet, it's my coolest one, i suspect that before i shot it 6 times it was unfired, used by time but look brand new under the discoloration.
 
Good shootable plain flinter in the 750-900- range. If a major name such as Nock, Ketland etc. then upwards from there depending on condition. I have a Ketland officers pistol that would draw 1500- or so if I chose to part with it. Just my 2 cents worth.
 
Back
Top Bottom