What's with the "stripe" around some factory brass?

Polish-Jack

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I have a bunch of Federal .45ACP brass that have a cannelure (for lack of a better word) two thirds up the base. Do these cannelures provide some sort of function or are they a vestige of the manufacturing process? Also, is there a difference in the longevity of the case compared to brass with out this stripe?



 
4 or more years ago I read somewhere that the cannelure is the depth the bullet is seated. Its on various brands of straightwall cartridges all the way up to .45/70 and probably beyond.

Some of my 45acp have been shot 30+ times. When crimping the case to the bullet you work the rim making it brittle, this causes the case to split. Thats how most of mine end up in the recycle bin.
 
it is to stop or reduce bullet being pushed back in the case
so below where the bullet is seated there is a crimp in the brass case to stop bullet being pushed back and causing a major problem
 
After a couple loadings the cannalure disappears and you can seat your bullet to whatever depth you desire. I used to dislike getting once fired cannalured brass that originally held a light bullet. IE: 125gr and I'm loading a 158gr. I have to seat the bullet deeper and a good case cannalure can be problematic.
 
Back
Top Bottom