when did winchester stop making the saddle ring carbine?

kevin.303

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
Location
Dog River SK
when did Winchester stop installing saddle rings on the 1894 carbines? i've seen sources that say when world war 2 interrupted production, but my grandfathers 1916 carbine has no saddle ring, nor does it appear to have been cut or broken off. in trying to find an answer i ran across a blurb about a varient referred to as an eastern carbine, shipped with no saddle ring, could that be what i have?
 
My 1898 vintage '94 has no saddle ring (yes original stock) and I've seen many more without than with - my understanding has always been that the saddle ring on the 1894 was an option rather than standard eqipment, although I'm always open to correction :)
 
If what I have read is correct, the sling ring was a standard feature of 1894 carbines until sometime in 1925, after which time they were an option the customer could order. I had heard before they were a no cost option, but in Renneberg's book on the Model 94, there is a copy of "an early 1930's Winchester sales catalog" that states "Attaching sling ring to receiver on carbine, add $2.00 (retail) $1.40 (wholesale)". Those ordered without the sling ring before 1925 were coined by collectors as "Eastern Carbines". I have read that many Easterners ordered carbines without the sling ring because the ring rattled as they slipped thru the forest, noise was not good a good thing on the hunt.
Hope this helps.
Matt
 
If what I have read is correct, the sling ring was a standard feature of 1894 carbines until sometime in 1925, after which time they were an option the customer could order. I had heard before they were a no cost option, but in Renneberg's book on the Model 94, there is a copy of "an early 1930's Winchester sales catalog" that states "Attaching sling ring to receiver on carbine, add $2.00 (retail) $1.40 (wholesale)". Those ordered without the sling ring before 1925 were coined by collectors as "Eastern Carbines". I have read that many Easterners ordered carbines without the sling ring because the ring rattled as they slipped thru the forest, noise was not good a good thing on the hunt.
Hope this helps.
Matt

I have seen dozens of 94 SRC's here in N.B. that have had the ring removed. I recently repaired a family heirloom SRC for a neighbour that had the ring lug CUT OFF AND FILED FLUSH WITH THE RECEIVER! He found a lug and a ring and I was able to remove the lug, I don't know why Bubba didn't simply unscrew the lug from the receiver if he didn't like it.
 
I have seen dozens of 94 SRC's here in N.B. that have had the ring removed. I recently repaired a family heirloom SRC for a neighbour that had the ring lug CUT OFF AND FILED FLUSH WITH THE RECEIVER! He found a lug and a ring and I was able to remove the lug, I don't know why Bubba didn't simply unscrew the lug from the receiver if he didn't like it.

Because then he would have had to buy a machine screw, and he already owned (or could borrow) a file. - Dan
 
Back
Top Bottom