When Men were Men!

RockChucker

CGN frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
313   0   2
A few pictures of a recent aquisition 1887 Winchester lever action 10 gauage shotgun. D.O.B by serial # 1888 , 125 years old.
You had to be one "Tough S.O.B" to shoot one of these. 32" barrel but suprisingly light weight for its size approx. 7 lbs.
Overall in not too bad of condition, bore looks very decent considering it was shot with BP.
No major pitting visible and an incredibly smooth operating lever action.
Your comments and questions are welcome. Perhaps an honest appraisal of its approximate value would be appreciated.


1887_Win_10G_001.JPG

1887_Win_10G_002.JPG

1887_Win_10G_003.JPG

1887_Win_10G_004.JPG

1887_Win_10G_005.JPG

1887_Win_10G_006.JPG

1887_Win_10G_007.JPG

1887_Win_10G_008.JPG

1887_Win_10G_009.JPG

1887_Win_10G_010.JPG


Thanks RC
 
I owned one for a short time. I liked it but the chamber must have been rough or slightly bulged because the extractors tore through the rims of the fired shells. I think that is their weak point; the extractors should be considerably wider so that they grab more of the rim. Also it was fussy about the length of the shells used. They loaded OK but when the crimp opened up with shooting, they will not eject a long case. Can't remember if mine was limited to 2 5/8 inch or 2 3/4 inch shells
I do remember that the action was smooth and easy to cycle

cheers mooncoon
 
Tough to shoot it? Those kick less than a modern 12 ga. 3"! Please realize that these are chambered for a size of 10 gauge shell that is obselete, loaded with black powder and a small shot charge. A super fun gun; get some proper cowboy action loads for it and have a blast!
 
Tough to shoot it? Those kick less than a modern 12 ga. 3"! Please realize that these are chambered for a size of 10 gauge shell that is obselete, loaded with black powder and a small shot charge. A super fun gun; get some proper cowboy action loads for it and have a blast!

goex list 110gr ff bp and 1 1/2 of shot for 10ga 2 3/4" these guns are 2 7/8" chambered for the most part but it seems like mooncoon said they like shorter shells with a roll crimp
 
longer shells will go in the chamber loaded but after firing the crimp opens up and they are a bugger to remove. Keep in mind that the breach rolls back and down and loses grip of the shell by the end of its movement. If you look at the photo of the open breach you will see what I mean.

cheers mooncoon
 
Tough to shoot it? Those kick less than a modern 12 ga. 3"! Please realize that these are chambered for a size of 10 gauge shell that is obselete, loaded with black powder and a small shot charge. A super fun gun; get some proper cowboy action loads for it and have a blast!
X's 2! Yes, 10 bore with BP loads are not too bad at all. I've shot 3 1/2inch 12 gauge that were much more punishing indeed.
 
Nice piece of history you have there, I just got a hold of a 1901, and am now trying to get my hands on a buttplate for it, Unfortunately it is proving to be difficult.
 
Hello RockChucker,

Your shotgun is in relatively poor condition with none of the original bluing or case coloring still present.
Additionally, the wood has been sanded and refinished(?) at some time. As it sits it is worth about $500
on a good day.

Michael
 
Hello RockChucker,

Your shotgun is in relatively poor condition with none of the original bluing or case coloring still present.
Additionally, the wood has been sanded and refinished(?) at some time. As it sits it is worth about $500
on a good day.

Michael

says the noob with 20 post i seen a 1901 in worse shape for for $1200 id say its atleast worth that
 
Everyone is entitled to express their opinion when asked for.
I wouldn't even consider $500. too much history and value would have to take into consideration how often you see them available in 10 Gauge, fair amount of 12's out there.

RC
 
antiqueguy wrote:
says the noob with 20 post i seen a 1901 in worse shape for for $1200 id say its at least worth that

Sorry that you discount my opinion so much. My value determination is based on watching hundreds of similar condition shotguns actually selling for in auctions.
What shotguns are being offered for is of no consequence if they do not sell for that price.

And, for your information I have over 11,000 forum posts on the Gunvaluesboard.com website where I am a moderator.

Michael
 
A few pictures of a recent aquisition 1887 Winchester lever action 10 gauage shotgun. D.O.B by serial # 1888 , 125 years old.
You had to be one "Tough S.O.B" to shoot one of these. 32" barrel but suprisingly light weight for its size approx. 7 lbs.
Overall in not too bad of condition, bore looks very decent considering it was shot with BP.
No major pitting visible and an incredibly smooth operating lever action.
Your comments and questions are welcome. Perhaps an honest appraisal of its approximate value would be appreciated.




1887_Win_10G_001.JPG

1887_Win_10G_002.JPG

1887_Win_10G_003.JPG

1887_Win_10G_004.JPG

1887_Win_10G_005.JPG

1887_Win_10G_006.JPG

1887_Win_10G_007.JPG

1887_Win_10G_008.JPG

1887_Win_10G_009.JPG

1887_Win_10G_010.JPG


Thanks RC


She's a beauty and something you definitely do NOT see very often.

Price, well whatever someone will pay for it but to be honest I think around 1000-1500 is a real good starting point, pre 1890 Winchester anything is highly collectable.

I think she's a great looking arm, I have never had the opportunity to examine one like it.
 
Yeah, Michael may well be fairly new to this particular forum, but one of the LAST people I would refer to as a "noob" when it comes to Winchesters. And his evaluation is likely fair.

Cool looking gun. They certainly have a unique look to them don't they. Have fun with it.

Matt
 
I shoot geese with my Westley Richards 10 using 110 grains of powder and 1 1/4oz of #2 Nice Shot, but have skeet loads of 1 1/8oz and 100 grains, which works very well and won't but your shoulder.
Cat
 
I think $500 is closer to realistic than $1000 and up. A lot of guys not really involved in Winchester collecting don't realize how much impact condition has on price. The gun in question has practically no finish remaining and is in the bottom price range for the model. That being said, if I owned it I wouldn't sell it for $500 because for that small amount of money I would sooner keep it and shoot it.
 
antiqueguy wrote:

Sorry that you discount my opinion so much. My value determination is based on watching hundreds of similar condition shotguns actually selling for in auctions.
What shotguns are being offered for is of no consequence if they do not sell for that price.

And, for your information I have over 11,000 forum posts on the Gunvaluesboard.com website where I am a moderator.

Michael

Don't take him to heart Michael. Once you see what he posts about, you will note that there is a lot more hat than cattle in that particular cowboy.

Cheers
Trev
 
Back
Top Bottom