Where to buy black powder?

15-C

Member
Rating - 97.1%
31   1   2
Just bought an Colt Navy Revolver and just realized that I have no idea where to buy black powder, percussion caps, etc. execpt from the internet which has extremely high shipping rates 'cause they're dangerous goods. I live in Southern Ontario and any help would be greatly appricated.

Thanks and Regards,


Braden.
 
The best thing to do is hook up with your local BP club, enthusiasts. There is powder out there to buy almost everywhere but showing up and being a reasonable, safe, interested guy is the pass to get easy access.

Chances are that if this is your first BP gun there is a ton of stuff to learn and while the lyman guides etc are useful nothing is as beneficial as spending time with some guys that have fired 100,000 rnds between them.

I think (confirm this) that BP substitutes like Pyrodex would work in your gun (confirm this) this will be much easier to find and should be about anywhere that sells smokeless. Percussion caps are also easy to come by.

If you go the substitute route (confirm it is safe) then you can likely get it from Higginsin Powders north of you. Often the savings buying from them pays for the shipping.

IMHO I'd suggest going with real black powder though. For a whole bunch of reasons the least of which it is just more fun and if you have the powder then you will likely find other guns to feed it to and to enjoy. (Bone up on BP gratuations and what is safe to fire in what bore diameter)

enjoy.
 
The GOEX importer/distributer for Eastern Canada is in St. Catherines. PM me and I'll give you his contact info. (I know it's around here somewhere) Caps you can get at Shooters Choice, Ellwood Epps, Al Simmons, Gobles, etc. Lube, you can buy at the same places plus LeBaron, SAIL, Bass Pro, etc. Where abouts are you more specifically?
 
Back
Top Bottom