Where to buy quality match grade ammo?

logan1080

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I am looking for quality match ammo to shoot until I get reloading. I want it for my .300wsm. I looked in wholesale sports and they never had anything. I am in saskatchewan. Thanks.
 
Have you checked any of the manufacturers' sites to determine if they even make match grade in .300 Winchester Short Magnum?
You might find that some of the premium Federal will shoot well, but it all depends on your rifle, and you.
 
You'll have to try a box of as many brands as you can to find the ammo your rifle shoots best. The price means nothing. However, like Al-Sway says, it's unlikely that you'll find .300 WSM loaded with match grade bullets. It's not a regular target cartridge.
 
If it groups well at one range, then the group size should be linear increasing in size as you go further out. That is, a one inch group at 100 metres should be around 2 inches at 200 metres, all else being equal (including sighting equipment).
But, you are not very clear about how well Super X shoots, and at what range, and what you mean by all over the place further out.
As I mentioned before, Federal makes a couple of types with premium bullets. As per their website, consider the 150 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip, or the 180 grain Nosler Accubond.
What kind of expectations do you have, and how far out do you want to shoot?
 
Hunting shack montana makes a 178gr A-max match load
Black hills makes a gold load in the 175gr match king
Cor-Bon makes a performance match load in 190gr match king

So it's out there but don't ask me if its availiable in Canada and what the price would be. I have seen black hills and HSM ammo in Canada at shows and at the range but I have no idea who's a dealer. I have never seen a box of Cor-Bon anywhere but doesn't mean it can't be done.
 
If it groups well at one range, then the group size should be linear increasing in size as you go further out. That is, a one inch group at 100 metres should be around 2 inches at 200 metres, all else being equal (including sighting equipment).
But, you are not very clear about how well Super X shoots, and at what range, and what you mean by all over the place further out.
As I mentioned before, Federal makes a couple of types with premium bullets. As per their website, consider the 150 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip, or the 180 grain Nosler Accubond.
What kind of expectations do you have, and how far out do you want to shoot?

Well I want to get shooting targets out to 1000 yards hopefully. The winchester super x does not fly well once it slows down and the accuracy diminishes. It shoots sub MOA at 100 yards all day long on paper. It is not shooting sub moa at 500 yards. out to 800 yards it is all over the place. Group size should be linear if every round is the same and if it is a quality, well flying bullet. Winchester super x is by no means match grade so it can be different from one box to the next and the bullets are not designed to fly perfectly as they slow down. This is a cheap hunting round, it will not shoot consistently like a match grade round will.
 
Just for the record, group size is not linear with distance, it is much closer to being linear with time of flight.

OP, for what commercial match ammo costs it would be worth it to just buy a single stage press kit now and start cranking out rounds with bullets that will make the trip to 1000yds with ease.


Mark
 
Back
Top Bottom