Which .223 brass is reloadable?

polskadude

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
184   0   0
Location
London Ontario
I've only used Winchester White box, 55 grain for my AR, then used that brass to reload for my SL8.

Im all out of whitebox and was looking to get more, but the prices have changed. From $450/1000 it went to $650/1000 at my local store. The owner has no explaination for the price hike since Feburary. I just walked out and dont plan on going back.

Anyways, im looking to pick up another case of 1000 rounds but cant find whitebox at a good price but there are other brands. My question is which brands of brass are reloadable. Which are crimped, etc.

Winchester - Reloadable, non crimped Primers.
PRVI Partizan - Reloadable, non crimped Primers.
UMC - ??
American Eagle - Reloadable, some crimped, some not.
Federal - Reloadable, some crimped, some not.
Sellier & Bellot - Reloadable, crimped Primers
SB - Reloadable, crimped Primers
IVI - Reloadable, crimped Primers
PMC - Reloadable, crimped Primers

MFS - non reloadable steel case, non corrosive


Any other popular brands out there?

Thanks for the help.
Matt
 
Last edited:
I've only used Winchester White box, 55 grain for my AR, then used that brass to reload for my SL8.

Im all out of whitebox and was looking to get more, but the prices have changed. From $450/1000 it went to $650/1000 at my local store. The owner has no explaination for the price hike since Feburary. I just walked out and dont plan on going back.

Anyways, im looking to pick up another case of 1000 rounds but cant find whitebox at a good price but there are other brands. My question is which brands of brass are reloadable. Which are crimped, etc.

Winchester - Reloadable, non crimped Primers.
PRVI Partizan - Reloadable, non crimped Primers.
PMC- ??
Sellier & Bellot - ??
American Eagle - ??
UMC - ??

MFS - non reloadable steel case, non corrosive


Any other popular brands out there?

Thanks for the help.
Matt

As far as I know, all brass is reloadable even if it has primer crimps.

PMC is crimped.
 
Steel cased brass with 2 flash holes is not reloadable, you cant get the primer out.

I dont want to buy brass that has a crimped primer either.

Thanks for the help with PMC.
 
If the primers are crimped there is a special tool to take care of that isnt there. I am getting into reloading soon as I have been saving brass etc.
 
Yes there is. But I already dont like loading .223 because it takes way longer then pistol. I dont want to spend more time shaving a crimp off each casing. I know you only do it once, I just rather not do it.
 
Yes there is. But I already dont like loading .223 because it takes way longer then pistol. I dont want to spend more time shaving a crimp off each casing. I know you only do it once, I just rather not do it.

the ONLY extra step is to LUBE the case- which takes SECONDS- if you're finding it takes a lot longer to make a 223, you're using an antiquated system-
same deal with removing the primer crimp-and trimming case length for that matter- i use a lee 1000 and it takes EXACTLY the same length of time for a 223 as it does for a 9mm or a 45- if i had a lube station, it would be even less- i have electric drills hooked up to both my crimp remover and trim tools and a hundred rounds takes maybe 3 minutes to prep if i TAKE MY TIME- i could cut down even more with a press with more stations
 
Yes there is. But I already dont like loading .223 because it takes way longer then pistol. I dont want to spend more time shaving a crimp off each casing. I know you only do it once, I just rather not do it.

the ONLY extra step is to LUBE the case- which takes SECONDS- if you're finding it takes a lot longer to make a 223, you're using an antiquated system-
same deal with removing the primer crimp-and trimming case length for that matter- i use a lee 1000 and it takes EXACTLY the same length of time for a 223 as it does for a 9mm or a 45- if i had a lube station, it would be even less- i have electric drills hooked up to both my crimp remover and trim tools and a hundred rounds takes maybe 3 minutes to prep if i TAKE MY TIME- i could cut down even more with a press with more stations-and you can add federal and ivi, and sb- which is NOT SELLIER AND BERLOIT- this stuff comes in grey bandoliers from the phillipines,
federal may or may not have primer crimp, depends on what they felt like that day
the ivi which is cf, has, but it's good brass and i've used tonnes of it
the sb is also primer crimp with a circular crimp, not a 3 spot
 
Thanks for the help t-star. I don't have any electric trimers, manual one only. I use a turret press for 9mm, can fire one out every 10 seconds. .223 takes a bit longer because I tumble before I resize, and after I resize to clean the lube off. I probably don't need to do it twice. Either way, I rather pay a few bucks more and get non crimped ammo. Or in my last case, paid less for the noncrimped stuff.
 
not to compare notes, but i tumble 223-1000 at a time, same as 38 spcl, ( i have the lyman 2500) and the drills are old fellas that i've had for years- ac powered 1/4 inch black and deckers- you know the ones- if you undo the handle on the lyman crimp tool, it's a 1/4 shaft that screws right in to a drill- same deal on the lee trim tool- they're designed that way- in a loading, block, you do the same as if you were powder charging, but with the heads up for the primers- 50 at a time-10 blocks takes but a few minutes
 
My 2 bits

Winchester - Reloadable, non crimped Primers.
PRVI Partizan - Reloadable, non crimped Primers.
Sellier & Bellot - ??
American Eagle - All reloadable, some crimped, some not.
UMC - ??
Federal - Reloadable, some crimped, some not.
SB - Reloadable, crimped Primers
IVI - Reloadable, crimped Primers
PMC - Reloadable, crimped Primers

MFS - non reloadable steel case, non corrosive
 
I have a newbie question, what's boxer primed.

Boxer primed brass has only a single, center punched or drilled (better brass, uber expensive) flash hole. Berdan primed brass have two flash holes and require a special tool to deprime. All major reloading dies are set-up to deal with only boxer primed cases. This is the main reason why boxer primed brass is far preferred by reloaders.
 
Any brass cases, just remember nato brass is thicker and holds less powder, SAN 's pound the bejeebies out of brass and even it can be reloaded up to 5-6 times. Yes you can shoot nato brass in 223 but not with nato pressures. aimho
 
Back
Top Bottom