Which firearms would Samuel de Champlain have likely used in New France?

avroe

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
I'm wondering if anyone might be able to bring me up to speed on the types of firearms Samuel de Champlain would have been using as he was exploring remote areas like the French River, and founding Quebec?

Periods would extend from around 1609 - 1615.

I appreciate the feedback.
 
Definitely a smooth bore matchlock musket. Firing 2-3 balls at a time. Remember the story of Champlain shooting two Iroquois with one shot?
 
The face those natives must have pulled when they first saw a gun being fired!

There must have been some crazy stories circulating for a while about the boomsticks.
 
Might anyone know which armory/region his personal firearms were likely to have came from?

I figure with his historical significance, someone has looked into his firearms by this point?
 
Last edited:
Years ago a neighbour of mine in the Kawarthas found the remnants of old, old pistol on the bottom of the lake we lived beside. I had always fancied it had been from Champlain's tour through the area back in 1610 or so.

Alas, I guess I have to let that dream go. Wrong era. Said rusted remnant was from a caplock. Still, it would be interesting to know from where and whence it came.
 
Back
Top Bottom