Whitetail load advice...

Waterfowler

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Super GunNutz
Rating - 100%
290   0   0
Location
GTA
TC Prohunter and a TC Triumph

I'm thinking 2-3 pellets of 777, 250 grain Hornady SST and Remington or TC Infusion 209 primer.

Any thoughts or advice on this load or can you suggest another.

Did a search and got some good info so far, but just looking for some more.

Thanks in advance.
 
TC Prohunter and a TC Triumph

I'm thinking 2-3 pellets of 777, 250 grain Hornady SST and Remington or TC Infusion 209 primer.

Any thoughts or advice on this load or can you suggest another.

Did a search and got some good info so far, but just looking for some more.

Thanks in advance.

Personally, I'd start with 2 pellets. I've got several smokepoles and have found that, generally speaking, I get better performance and accuracy with the middle=of=the road loads. Fer instance, I've got 2 45 cal. Kentucky rifles. The best bullet load is 70gr. of ffG behind a 240 gr. maxi or 40 gr. of ffg behind a round ball. My in-lines also seem to do better with a max of 2 pellets, but I do like to toss big chinks of lead rather than lighter bullets (if 250 gr. can be considered "light"). Any time I've tried max loads, accuracy seems to suffer. 100 gr. of powder will drop any critter other than hamsters or beets (see other threads).
 
I read an article by Jim Shocky a few years ago. I'm sure he never used anything over 100gr of powder. If I recall he also had best results using a mid or mid to high (but never high) volume of powder for all his loads. Wish I could remember the mag the article was in. For what it's worth I've had best results using 80-90gr black under a patched ball for hunting. I've even tried it with 2 balls (80gr)and had good paper results. Haven't been lucky enough to see the results on a deer though.
 
i shoot the barnes 451cal 250 gr. Spit-Fire TMZ
with 3 t7 mags

works real nice. i killed 4 deers with the load this year. ( all bang flops)

(do not shoot this load unless you have a smokeless muzzleloader or T/c )

i shoot it in my T/C endeavor
 
Back
Top Bottom