who can tell me about these 2 rifles?

mpjustin

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
Location
BC
who can tell me about these 2 rifles? I know the one is a remington rolling block it messures to about a 50cal and has a bayonet lug on it, Its hard to tell what it says on it oher than remington, I got it from my grandfather and would love to learn about it. the other on is a 22 I got from a old friend. wierd action on it.
any info would be great,
thanks,
Justin
4570002.jpg
[/IMG]
4570003.jpg
[/IMG]
4570004.jpg
[/IMG]
4570005.jpg
[/IMG]
 
If it wasn't for the bayonet lug, I would have thought the roller was a cut down full length rifle. Probably 50-70 caliber. Someone that really knows rolling blocks might be able to tell you the model year and the country that fielded it.
The little 22 is a German made (Dreyse?) rifle - seen a few of them around over the years. Dinky little guns.
 
Remington sold a lot of rolling blocks to a lot of armies in a variety of calibres. A bayonet lug on a carbine is a bit unusual. A chamber cast might be a good idea to try to determine the calibre. Buttstock looks to be a replacement.
The .22 is an example of an economy rifle that was sold for a very low price - or used as an incentive for marketing programs - in the post-WW1 period. Yours appears to be in better shape than most.
 
Looks like the same marking as on the reciever hood?
I have one but it has no markings on the wood.

The one in my safe is just as canuck said, the company emblem. My friend was brought into the shooting world with one of these with his Grampa. His Granpa had bought it from an old Indian passing through in the homesteading years. When he died the gun sat around for ever in limbo then popped up when I asked him about it. He located it but his cousin got it.

He sure was excited when I found this one for him, it will make a great gun to teach a kid with. Takes long enough to load they will make each shot count.;)
 
Here is mine. It has a pistol grip stock, I have seen others like mine, yours is the first one I've seen with the straight stock. Mine has a sliding plate on the butstock to store a cleaning jag or other stuff. this was my first rifle, it was handed down from my grandfather.

DSCF0634.jpg


DSCF0635.jpg


DSCF0636.jpg
 
The nickname I heard for the .22 was, 'hood lift', and yes the symbol is the same in both places. I think it is a stylized fox with a big tail. Not much value due to simplicity of the whole thing. I had one and sold it for $40 to a fellow who ran gun shows in Regina. I'm not crying that it is gone.
 
Deutsche Werke - Youth Rifle

anyone know what the mark on the butstock on the 22 means?? or what it is

If you look careful at the emblem, you will see, it shows a "fancy looking" lion sitting/lying down, it's neck held high, looking ahead and it's weight on it's ellbows. It's hind legs are along side it's body and the "really fancy" long tail is curled up very high, touching the back of it's head, ending with the bushy tip above it's head.
This also forms a "very fancy" looking letter 'D'.
D, for 'D'eutsche Werke, I believe.

I have a number of this rifles. One is a 9mm Garden Gun. Fires 9mm bird shot shells.

Deutsche Werke also made pistols, better known under the name of Ortgies, due to the Ortgies Patent.
These pistoles have the same Emblem as a brass medal worked into the grips.
They were made in .32 and .25 calibers and I wish, I could have one of them.
Here is a good example of this beautiful Emblem:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=159195488

I thought, the action is called "breech action" (?).
 
Thanks for posting that Beaver59. I have to admit, I can't visualize the lion. I must be imaginatively challenged or something, but I can't see its head.
 
Deutsche Werke Crest

Okay, I was wrong!
The Ortgies history book describes the crest as a highly stylized couchand CAT.
I wasn't to far away, though :)

The action is called "breechblock".

If someone knows a Deutsche Werke pistol coming up for sale, please let me know.
 
Here's a picture of the emblem on my deutchewerk rifle. This rifle belonged to my dad and is the first gun I ever got to shoot.

deutchewerks0002.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I thought it was a snake, but I can't figure out what the other little bit is.
 
Commonly called the "hoodlift", the little Deutsche-Werke .22 is the type given to kids for selling newspaper subscriptions in the 1920s. You sold 10 subs to the paper and you got a REAL GUN!!!!!!!
Retail price on one would have been about $1.25, but the dollar was a lot bigger and tougher back then.

They can be VERY DARNED accurate, especially if you use them with STANDARD-velocity ammo or with SUBSONIC ammo; the rifling tends to be very shallow, in common with the old Cooeys.

Only problem with these is that the bottom-mounted extractor tends to work loose, allowing GAS from high-pressure rounds to escape around the breechblock. You can get interesting little pieces of brass embedded in your hands from this. Play it safe, use only the lowest-pressure ammo and many of these that 'blow every case' will mysteriously STOP blowing cases and start shooting very accurately.

The action actually is pretty much a reduced-size rimfire copy of the Berdan I as manufactured for Imperial Russia by Colt's (same people as stole the design for the Gorloff machine-gun and marketed it as the 'Gatling'..... whoever he mjight have been. See: I've been reading my Russian history!).

These little things can be a barrel of fun.
 
Back
Top Bottom