Who here compulsively cleans and oils their antique revolvers?.

Tyockell18

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
138   0   0
Location
Not really sure.
I think I have a problem. I have been taking better care of my antique revolvers than I do myself and my girlfriend lately.

Anyone else got this going on lol...?

Mild Gun OCD perhaps?. I don't like rust, it must all die!.

If these old girls got damaged under my care I'd cry.
 
I have been like that for a while. Now that i am single again it has become my sweet getaway. Between CGN and that is my favorite pass time when not working. Speaking of that i miss my antiques.
 
Not me, I have only one antique six gun, a first Gen Colt SAA 45 Schofield. I clean it about once every few hundred rounds (i.e., about once per year). Of course, I use smokeless powder; if I do use black Powder, it gets cleaned immediately and thoroughly. I do not oil anything. My philosophy is that grit sticks to oil.
 
Not compulsively but my BP's get bore butter after cleaning, as well as lard / bee's wax filler ahead of the loaded charge.
Seems to be working.
 
My wife thinks I clean them too much but that's nonsense. And when I clean one I can't play favourites and not take care of the others. Sorry for the poor grammar hard to type and wipe down the revolver at the same time.

Cheers David
 
I keep mine in good shape clean and oiled ect last thing you want is rust to form from poor storage or not oiled good.
Fluid film seems to work really well and its non toxic and it lasts.
 
Last edited:
I clean after every shoot and a good wipe down with G96 with periodic checks throughout the year. Their investments, albeit maybe poor ones sometimes, but investments just the same. My other stuff gets the same treatment though. Takes 15 to 20 minutes & gives you peace of mind that it's not rotting away in the safe...:D:p
 
I use primarily black powder and clean them well after shooting. On guns like Webleys, I will strip them and clean the cylinder pivot maybe every fifth or sixth time. Like Dingus, I am a strong believer in fluid film and have been using it for at least 15 years. Grit may stick to oil but here on the Island, rust forms in its absence

cheers mooncoon
 
One thing that I do is to make sure they are coated with Conservator's Wax. That seems to take care of any rust problems better than a thin coat of oil.
 
One thing that I do is to make sure they are coated with Conservator's Wax. That seems to take care of any rust problems better than a thin coat of oil.

Same here i only oil the bores and internal parts with Fluid film the wax trick was told to me by another member here and i like it alot.
Was also a Cgner told me fluid film was non toxic, which is why i went back to useing it for internals.
No dust or grit gets in my guns as i keep them in cases cept when im shooting them of course.
I think if i was doing alot of bush carry i would spray the internals with G 96 instead of fluid film as it is kinda sticky.
The wax really works nice on the outside tho.
 
If shooting smokeless maybe after 50rds a Fast Wipe. / Oil (synthetic chain lube)

& After 250rds (or 1 month) i give them a Full Clean

And thats for a Blue gun


----

Nickel plated Guns i clean after 50Rds, And When i get them home
---



When Hunting i cover the Gun in a Cote of synthetic motorcycle grease inside and out! (not too much where it makes the gun stick! This way i have no Rust!
 
After a shooting session I liberally spray G96 into all the nooks and crannies of my Webley (without stripping it), then wipe it all off and pass patches through the barrel and chambers. A couple times a year I remove the cylinder and thoroughly clean it.

My whole family loves the smell of G96!

The wax sounds interesting, how does one use it?
 
The wax sounds interesting, how does one use it?
I bought a little can of Conservator's Wax from Lee Valley. I take a small piece of cloth (about 2" x 2"), wipe a bit of wax on it from the can, and then wipe the entire rifle or pistol with the waxy cloth. I then let it dry for about 5 minutes. Finally, I take a clean flannel cloth and polish the dried wax. This brings out a beautiful sheen on the wood and enhances whatever finish is left on the metal. Even if there is no finish left on the metal, it still gives a pleasing look to the metal. If it is the first waxing, I will probably re-wax it in a month or so. If I go hunting with the rifle or do a lot of shooting, the wax may need to be refreshed. One thing I will say, it protects my guns from surface rust like a wipe with an oily rag never did. Not to say there aren't other products out there that will be as good or better. I do know it is what the curator of Cody museum recommended for protection.
 
While looking for an alternative to oil I discovered Renaissance Wax which was developed by British Musem's looking for better protection.
Incredible stuff that can be used on almost anything, you can get it on ebay. Likely very similar to conservator's wax.
 
Last edited:
Yeah, Renaissance Wax and Conservator's Wax are very similar. Both of them are microcrystaline waxes. Other types may actually have too high or too low Ph, but these two are safe.
 
I bought a little can of Conservator's Wax from Lee Valley. I take a small piece of cloth (about 2" x 2"), wipe a bit of wax on it from the can, and then wipe the entire rifle or pistol with the waxy cloth. I then let it dry for about 5 minutes. Finally, I take a clean flannel cloth and polish the dried wax. This brings out a beautiful sheen on the wood and enhances whatever finish is left on the metal. Even if there is no finish left on the metal, it still gives a pleasing look to the metal. If it is the first waxing, I will probably re-wax it in a month or so. If I go hunting with the rifle or do a lot of shooting, the wax may need to be refreshed. One thing I will say, it protects my guns from surface rust like a wipe with an oily rag never did. Not to say there aren't other products out there that will be as good or better. I do know it is what the curator of Cody museum recommended for protection.

Sounds interesting. I've been using Ed's Red for the last 30 years for general lubrication and outside wipe on metal.
I will pick some of that wax on my next trip to Lee Valley in Ottawa and give it a try.
 
Back
Top Bottom