Who here has owned or shot an 1877 colt

jimmerp

Member
Rating - 100%
127   0   0
Location
East
Looking to hear from persons who own or owned a 1877 colt.
What was the condition you got it in? How did you like the gun?
Happy holidays,
Jim
 
I have one and fired a few shots from it. If I can repair it to work properly, it should be no better or worse than any other revolver. When I got it, it was missing the "grasshopper" spring which is a split spring and works on both the hand and the sear. On mine I need to fiddle with it more because currently I can only shoot the gun double action. I don't think the cylinder lock is a good design because it is relatively thin and also unsupported for a significant distance. I don't understand why they did not continue the cylinder lock used on the earlier Colts. I also have to try reshaping the trigger return spring. The biggest problem with them is that the mechanism is buried inside the receiver and it is difficult to figure out what is not working or how to fix it

cheers mooncoon
 
I have several, and like all handguns, they're great when they work, and a piece o f+*&$ when they don't. The 1877's have some fine, delicate parts that are more susceptible to breakage (especially on a gun of this age)! I'd guess that 50% of mine weren't functioning perfectly when I got them, and parts can be difficult to locate. Great handgun otherwise.
 
I have one. I haven’t fired it only due the cost of 41 colt ammo. It is as crisp as a new gun. What got me asking is the general poor rep they seem to have. I think its undeserved to some extent. Being the first double action colt made i suspect there was some hurdles to overcome and local gunsmiths of the time were not quick to figure out solutions for the new complex action.
 
I have two, a engrave one I wont fire and a case coured sherifs model with the short barrel. Its a blast. DOnt shoot it too much cause im worried Ill break it.
 
Someone higher up at Colt was smoking the Demon Weed when they discontinued the cylinder detent and bolt system of lock-up ( of the C & B / 1873 ) for the New DA system...for 15 years!
WTF were they thinking is my point of view.
Here is where someone says their 1877, 1878 or 1889 locks up like a bank vault. To which I say " What bank do you use?" so I can use a different one. It's a matter of leverage...the further from the center of Axis the lock is, the more effective the hold is.
We use a pipe-wrench because the addition length gives us additional power to apply. But Colt moved the lockup from the 'detent on the outside' to the 'Axis'? It's like clasping your hand and fingers over the horn button to keep the car straight, as opposed to just using the actual ring of the steering wheel.
Totally backwards IMO...madness.
Granted they managed to get a potent round in a nice light medium frame wheelgun.
 
The problem is that the action is weak and they are not easy or simple to work on. Some gunsmiths won't work on them at all, too much time wasted and the customer probably won't be happy with the results anyway. .
 
Someone higher up at Colt was smoking the Demon Weed when they discontinued the cylinder detent and bolt system of lock-up ( of the C & B / 1873 ) for the New DA system...for 15 years!
WTF were they thinking is my point of view.
Here is where someone says their 1877, 1878 or 1889 locks up like a bank vault. To which I say " What bank do you use?" so I can use a different one. It's a matter of leverage...the further from the center of Axis the lock is, the more effective the hold is.
We use a pipe-wrench because the addition length gives us additional power to apply. But Colt moved the lockup from the 'detent on the outside' to the 'Axis'? It's like clasping your hand and fingers over the horn button to keep the car straight, as opposed to just using the actual ring of the steering wheel.
Totally backwards IMO...madness.
Granted they managed to get a potent round in a nice light medium frame wheelgun.
What was the condition of your gun/s when you received them. Did you work on them?
 
The problem is that the action is weak and they are not easy or simple to work on. Some gunsmiths won't work on them at all, too much time wasted and the customer probably won't be happy with the results anyway. .

WhT was the condition of your gun/s when you received them? Do you work on them?
 
WhT was the condition of your gun/s when you received them? Do you work on them?

Yep. Replaced the hand and the cylinder latch ( with all Refitting as req'd) on an '89, which of course is the totality of timing on this model.
Brought it back to successful SA timing, but I don't think successful DA is likely on a unit with any usage.
One doesn't own older Colt revolvers like this without either; not shooting them ( thus preserving perfect timing) or figuring out how to 'keep' them shooting. The '92's and '95's are a big improvement, but with the original lockwork...thus they kinda fight each other unless the timing is pretty much perfect.
My thoughts anyhow.
 
There hard to fix once something breaks but really nice guns don't forget when colt made them in the 1877 or so they were not thinking about people still shooting them in almost the year 2020 LOL a lot of people forget how old they are .
When brand new I bet they were great.

I have read that Billy the Kid used them as they were light weight and accurate enough.
 
WhT was the condition of your gun/s when you received them? Do you work on them?

the trigger return spring was missing, the cylinder lock was broken and the "grasshopper" spring was missing. It would work single action when I got it but not after I installed a new manufacture grasshopper spring. I think the problem is that the spring is split down the middle in order to have two functions and I think that too much tension on one leg has an effect on the other leg and prevents the hammer from staying in full #### so that it can be shot single action

cheers mooncoon
 
WhT was the condition of your gun/s when you received them? Do you work on them?
I worked on my own when I had one but I'm not a gunsmith, just a hobbyist. It was in fair condition, no new parts needed but a bit sloppy. Getting the timing right was challenging.
 
Back
Top Bottom