Who shoots their Pinfire?

I'm working with an 11mm pinfire right now. Slugs around .430", and will chamber a .44-40 case with the rim turned off. Chambers are bored straight through, so the altered .44 case is shortened enough to allow for the length of a standard lead .44 bullet. Drilled an angled hole through the head for the pin, set a regular percussion cap on the bottom of the pin. Hammer strikes the pin and pops the cap. Haven't fired a loaded round yet, busy making some other bits for the pistol - trigger spring, ejector rod and its detent spring, some screws. Should be a workable solution.
Also have a 7mm revolver, but it is so small that making primable cases is challenging.
 
I own and have shot a 16 guage pinfire shotgun. Have not shot it in quite a while in part because your vision is somewhat blocked by the hammers. They are closer to the centerline and much higher even when cocked that a centerfire hammer gun. Actually had two pinfire shotguns and sold one.

I also used to shoot a .53 caliber pinfire double barrel pistol. I liked it but traded it for something I needed badly (I thought). Currently have a revolver around .40 cal that I have not had time to shoot and two or three small revolvers around .27 cal. The small guns have relatively weak hammer springs and I need to try to ideas out to make them work. Basically I think that I need to sit the cap in a flat bottomed recess so that the hammer does not use up energy distorting a cap into a round bottomed recess. That means making shells up as two pieces and soldering or silver soldering them together.

cheers mooncoon
 
Pinfire percussion caps were small diameter, sized to fit the pin. In smaller calibers, there just isn't room for a common cap. I experimented with the 7mm pinfire, turning a case from solid, and making a primer pocket for a SPP on the offside from the pin. This might be an option, don't know. Making the cases in two pieces would facilitate construction.
 
I'm working with an 11mm pinfire right now. Slugs around .430", and will chamber a .44-40 case with the rim turned off. Chambers are bored straight through, so the altered .44 case is shortened enough to allow for the length of a standard lead .44 bullet. Drilled an angled hole through the head for the pin, set a regular percussion cap on the bottom of the pin. Hammer strikes the pin and pops the cap. Haven't fired a loaded round yet, busy making some other bits for the pistol - trigger spring, ejector rod and its detent spring, some screws. Should be a workable solution.
Also have a 7mm revolver, but it is so small that making primable cases is challenging.


you can buy cases for a few bucks a pice i'll see if i cant get the links for the places
 
I own and have shot a 16 guage pinfire shotgun. Have not shot it in quite a while in part because your vision is somewhat blocked by the hammers. They are closer to the centerline and much higher even when cocked that a centerfire hammer gun. Actually had two pinfire shotguns and sold one.

I also used to shoot a .53 caliber pinfire double barrel pistol. I liked it but traded it for something I needed badly (I thought). Currently have a revolver around .40 cal that I have not had time to shoot and two or three small revolvers around .27 cal. The small guns have relatively weak hammer springs and I need to try to ideas out to make them work. Basically I think that I need to sit the cap in a flat bottomed recess so that the hammer does not use up energy distorting a cap into a round bottomed recess. That means making shells up as two pieces and soldering or silver soldering them together.

cheers mooncoon


im looking for a pinfire shotgun if you want to sell yours pm me :D
 
I have fired my 16 bore double rifle with paper cases and have some made for the active plastic cases. Just got some brass cases and want to try and make some cases form these
 
I made 7mm by using red platic caps for a cap gun. I put the cap over the pin. I had to file down the pin on the hammer end for one of my guns so they would fit in the chamber slot.

Cheap(dollar store) and worked well.
 
Back
Top Bottom