Why are my casings getting deformed (pic)?

Gormley Green

Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Location
Squamish, BC
Why do the necks on my .223 look like this after being fired? I'd say 8/10 of them come out pretty messed up. There are 3-4 different brands of ammo in this photo. What's going on?

img0374.jpg


Thanks.
 
They are really hot when they hit the ground? Easily bent when hot. Who really cares. It is the same with all my pistol brass after they bounce around a bit. Try shooting on the grass and see if anything changes. If you are worried about reloading don't be resizing will straighten them out. I havve never had an issue. By the way how was the trip to silverdale. Cold today!!!!
 
Just disfigured by the heat from firing and extraction and hitting hard ground or concrete...I have seen many in worse shape but they are put back into specs when resized.
 
The flattening of the neck is due to being spun out of the chamber. The ejector is spring loaded, so as soon as the case is clawed out far enough to clear the chamber, it pivots on the extractor claw, smacking the reciever. Hot soft brass meets cold hard aluminum.
 
Cases are whacking the receiver on the way out. Has nothing to do with heat. Happens with most semi-autos. Your sizing die will fix it.
 
By the way how was the trip to silverdale. Cold today!!!!

Hey, yea - it was fairly cold. Not too bad on the range, no wind. About -4 and overcast. I didn't ever get too cold to sit there or reload mags, and it definitely helped to cool the gun down. I imagine it keeps the crowds down too, which is nice when your Ruger spits brass 10 feet.

It's a nice range for sure. Friendly folks and nice property. Will probably get a membership for next year, despite the drive from ~Toronto.
 
Back
Top Bottom