So, I've now owned quite a fair number of antique cartridge rifles, and it seems that every one of them shot so high you would need to use a toenail hold to hit a man in the chest. In particular, I am speaking of Sniders (especially Cadet carbines), Martinis, trapdoors, etc. I understand that these are battle rifles, and as such were expected to be used at far ranges, and that most original sights only come down to about 200 yards/meters. This being said, they still seem to hit terribly high, like, unusably high without modifications. What puzzles me more is that I keep reading that the black powder of the past was stronger than what we get today, which should mean our replica ammo would hit lower. Thoughts? I am currently contemplating this conundrum because I just finished making a new sight blade for my Werder by hand (daggone Bavarian gunschmidt could have at least used the same angle on both sides of the dovetail!), and am in the process of replacing sights on my Snider sporting rifle.


















































