Why the one hand grip?

True, but the "Magnificent Seven" was one of the first (if not only) examples of using two hands on a revolver. "That was the best shot I've ever seen!" "No, worst - I was shooting at the horse."

I shoot "Frontiersman" in CAS simply for the challenge, right gun right hand, left gun left hand - simply because I can. Acquired the skill from IPSC and IDPA.

A while back someone posted a US Army training film on the use of the 1911 and surprise, surprise, there was a segment where the shooters were using two hands!

Fro the Cavalry point of view, managing a horse with one hand necessitates shooting with the other.
 
I shoot one handed regularly. Guns like the 1911 were designed for one handed shooting and it was taught that way until past WW2. The 1911 is still a damn fine single handed weapon. I practice single hand with both left and right and double handed. I find the modern large grips are not as easy to shoot single handed. For those who shoot two hands all the time, what would you do if one hand was injured. Especially in a military situation where injury is more likely. Like anything you don't practice chances are you will suck. Hence I don't think they will ever stop teaching single handed shooting in the military.
 
I generally shoot as well or better with one hand. Comes down to practise. I fired way more rounds while shooting under UIT rules than I have since.
 
Back
Top Bottom