wich caliber 455, 44 russian...............

lone ranger

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
220   0   1
Location
sask
I will be purchasing an antique revolver in a bit, but I'm not sure what caliber to go with. 455, 44 Russian, 41 long colt, French 44, 450,476. I reload myself. What is the best available brass, projectiles , loading dies ECT.
Wich is overall the most user friendly. I'm buying this to shoot a lot. Not concerned about keeping it original for value. Conversions don't bother me as well. I need something I can readily load up 500 rounds of ammo for.Must be at least the same fire power as 38special.
 
Brass and bullet availability and cost is the main consideration.

Given your criteria I suggest 45 Schofield. You can buy new Starline brass for it at a reasonable price, or trim 45 long colt brass. You can load close to 45acp power level and still stay within reasonable pressure levels.

44 Russian is another cartridge easy to load for and would meet your criteria.

I use 45 Schofield cartridges in a .476 Webley WG revolver. 45 Schofield fit in my unaltered WG revolver without modification but a lot of the WG revolvers will need the rim to be thinned to about .040". I'm loading a 220 gr. .454" bullet to 850 fps.
 
so a gun chambered in 44 Russian or a gun chambered in 476 using trimmed 45 long colt or re load 45 schofield brass,..correct ?
 
I like 8mm French service. Brass is really easy to get and modify. Bullets available here on CGN. Guns are reasonably priced.
seems a lot of old guns have come onto the market at reasonable prices. Junk was advertised for $1500 last year. Money seems a little tight in all sectors this year,..boats, motor bikes, Campers, ECT. I will buy as long as the price is fare.
 
Go with the 44 Russian IMO.
And I've a few different calibers in the genre. 41 LC is OK but the heeled bullet or hollow base is a PITA; got to run pure lead. 455 is an oddball PITA compared to 44 Russian.
A 45 ACP converted has a big error factor if a real 45 ACP finds it's way in the mix...can you say hand grenade?
A 44 Russian runs regular cast 44 Magnum bullets too. I've got a Lyman 310 (Old school reloader) in 44 special that lives right in the same box as the revolver, NEVER run out of ammunition then.
45 Schofield has more power potential, but it's Canada...we can only shoot paper anyhow. And it's about twice as difficult to find components for.
8mm Lebel seems to have powder positioning issues IIRC. But the revolvers are well made and a tank from what I can recall.
44 Russian is the easiest real cartridge to get in an Antique. And I haven't even tweaked mine into shape yet...so I'm not saying go with this round just because I have one. It's just the easiest big round to work with.
IMO
Stay safe
 
I sure like the fact you can use 44 cast bullets. That makes it dope simple to reload. Thanks a lot guys for all the info. I'm trying my hardest to get "up to speed" on these golden oldies.
when the time comes I'll be on here again asking for powder loads LOL. I'm getting exited. !!
 
I'm buying this to shoot a lot.

I always cringe when I see statements like this. How many rounds do you think you will be able to run in a 115+ year old revolver before you have problems?

While some models are definitely superior to others and a few guns are exceptional you won't be running thousands of trouble free rounds through the majority of them.

I think the only thing that will hold up to your expectations are one of the Colt SAA's with modern parts. As long as the frame is antique the rest can be modern with all the metallurgical advantages that comes with that.
 
44 russian is great if you only want to choose between a S&W DA or a reichs revolver.
I would look at all the diffrent guns that are available to buy then find the gun you like and work on that cartridge.
Nothing wrong with a S&W DA or a reichs revolver but theres lots of other choices.
Reloading is easy and you can get just about any brass or bullets now thanks to Jethunter and others that offer lead bullets.
Its important to to look at the bullets hardness some of the bullets i see people buying are way to hard a lead.
Thats why i like jethunters bullets he understands antiques and casts his bullets with that in mind.
Brass dont matter where you get it.
The only gun that was ever offered in 45 schofield is the S&W Schofield revolver, im pretty sure on that. The rest you see that shoot it like some WGs or the 476 RICs or SAA colts were never chambered in 45 schofield it just happens to fit in most 476 british guns and SAA colts set up to shoot it depending on the head space allowances.
I shoot 45 schofield in my original schofield first and second models. also in one SAA colt i have 3 cylinders for it one in 45 sch one in 45 Acp and a thrid in 455 MKI So it can shoot the longer 455 domion ammos out there.
SAA Colts are nice because Cylinders are easy to swap out and barrels can be unscrewed when there shot out if you plan to shoot alot as you say then a nice SAA would be a good start one with a duel caliber set up even better. :)
I shoot 44 Russian in original S&W DA revolvers its a great round and very accurate but so is 45 schofield if its shot in the right set up chamber throat and bore and bullets all the same Dia is key to good accuracy.

My vote is buy the gun you want and like then feed the gun.. Feed it :)
 
Last edited:
I always cringe when I see statements like this. How many rounds do you think you will be able to run in a 115+ year old revolver before you have problems?

While some models are definitely superior to others and a few guns are exceptional you won't be running thousands of trouble free rounds through the majority of them.

I think the only thing that will hold up to your expectations are one of the Colt SAA's with modern parts. As long as the frame is antique the rest can be modern with all the metallurgical advantages that comes with that.

The whole reason for buying the gun is to make it a daily shooter using light loads....,it will wear out for sure, and at that point I will buy another. this is my only hobby left ,and I really enjoy it.
 
I want to thank you all again. You have saved me countless hours on the Net trying to figure this all out, "possibly getting bad advise"
TO ALL- you are a gentleman, a scholar, and a judge of fine women.!
 
The whole reason for buying the gun is to make it a daily shooter using light loads....,it will wear out for sure, and at that point I will buy another. this is my only hobby left ,and I really enjoy it.

It is good that you are aware of this. I hope that you find yourself a fine revolver that provides much enjoyment.
 
seems a lot of old guns have come onto the market at reasonable prices. Junk was advertised for $1500 last year. Money seems a little tight in all sectors this year,..boats, motor bikes, Campers, ECT. I will buy as long as the price is fare.

I agree here. There is also nice Swedish nagant in 7.5 mm ad right now on EE. Bit steep $1500 but awesome for reloading. I can help you get set up for it. Dies are cheap as well as brass and uses 308-311 bullets.
 
Back
Top Bottom