Wilkinson Double 12ga

burnt45

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Location
Ottawa area
I need some help/advice on this one:

It's a Wilkinson, Pall Mall London, double 12ga, serial # 68xx, the triggers/locks are in great shape, shiny bores with a few pitts, overall a tight gun. At one time she woulda been a beauty of a scattergun, but someone left it in a humid basement for the last 10 or so years... probably on account of registry paranoia... but anyway, here's the BIG problem, it's missing the underlever. I've been trying to find one for a while now, thinking the gun would make a great companion for my Webley-Wilk. revolver. Now I'm thinking that short of having one made, I'll never find an underlever.

So, any ideas?... if I decide to give up and sell, what kind of value do I put on it?

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t113/burnt45/001-Copy.jpg

023.jpg
[/IMG]
 
Making a replacement would be about the only option. To make one that would not stand out as newly made - quality and style - would be an interesting challenge. Restoring the gun would be an excellent project. It was a quality gun when made.
 
Very nice, I like it!

But wot is an 'underlever'?

I might have the term wrong, but the underlever mounts to the bottom of the receiver, it swings sideways to open the action..... you can see the threaded nub sticking out from the receiver bottom, infront of trigger guard, where it mounts.
That design was popular around the 1860's... and 70's?
 
I've got a great Wm Atkinson 12 ga SxS with exactly the same problem. I was thinking of carving one out of hardwood for a template first. When I got the shotgun an I. Hollis underlever thrown in with it.
Pity; it turns a classic english double into a wallhanger worth 100-150 $
 
At least you have the internal portion of the underlever still in the gun. That is one part of the gun I would not want to make. Try making a template up out of sheet metal to get the bends and curves close to what you are looking for

cheers mooncoon
 
Back
Top Bottom