Will five rounds of 9.3x62mm fit on a Mauser stripper clip?

MapleSugar

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
I'm wondering if one of you guys who has some 9.3x62mm rounds, and a 7.92x57mm Mauser stripper clip handy, will do me a favour.

Will five rounds of 9.3x62mm fit on a Mauser stripper clip as easily as five rounds of 7.92x57mm?

I really love the ability to load a rifle with stripper clips. I think it would be cool to have an open sighted safari rifle built on a Mauser action and chambered in 9.3x62mm.
 
Good point. I don't have a rifle to do it with yet, but I just love safari rifles.

If a rifle is chambered for 7.92x57mm Mauser and rebarreled to 9.3x62mm, is there much receiver alteration necessary?
 
The magazine box will probably have to be lengthened and the receiver trimmed at the feed ramp and at the top of the ring to accept the longer cartridges. You might get away with it if you only use deep seated round nose bullets.

Why not stick with the 57mm length case and neck it up to 9.3? It's a nice smooth process and can be done with one pass over the expander ball. The difference in velocity will be less than 100fps. There isn't a game animal going that will be able to tell the difference.

If you're bound and determined to have a 9.3x62, look for a mauser 98 that's already been converted or manufactured in 30-06 length. There was a Brazilian mauser for sale on the EE in 30-06 but it sold. Take a look at the "Tradex" site, they have them at very decent prices. Certainly a lot cheaper than you can build one. There were some on the sporting rifle EE as well. Some of them are d&t and some aren't.

Try a WTB ad in the EE and see what is offered.
 
Thanks for the info!:)

It isn't a burning priority for me, but I was curious if it could be done.

I will take a passive approach and see what drops into my lap.

I could have bought an old 1908 Mauser in .30-06 for $100 a few years ago, that would have been perfect for the conversion.

That is, if is wasn't a good shooter. If it was, I would have just left it well enough alone and had an '06 safari rifle.
 
My Husqvarna 98 in 9.3x62 will hold 5 rounds in the magazine and will hold them down enough to close on a 6th round in the chamber. Unfortunately the stripper clips I got from Ted (Why Not?) don't fit in the clip guide. But for an iron sighted safari rifle in a Mauser I'd keep an eye on the TradeEx site and see what pops up there. That's where I got mine.

As an aside it weights exactly 9 lbs with 6 rounds of ammo and a 1" nylon sling in QD Swivels. I shot it for regulation of the iron sights and it hits 4" high at 100 yards and under 1" group (yes Ted, that was with those Norma RNs you gave me). Needless to say I left well enough alone nd didn't fiddle with the sights. They may need lowering in the summer depending on how the weaher affects the pressures, but I'm otherwise very happy with the performance.

Here are a couple of pictures of the rifle in question.

Picture001.jpg

011.jpg
 
That is sweet, BigUglyMan!:)

That is exactly what I would like (especially in left-hand.)

Do you know exactly what type of stripper clips you have? Meaning, are they genuine Mauser, or ones for the M14?

If you don't know, and you have a pair of calipers, please take a measurement of the dimensions of the charger slot and of your stripper clips.

I may be able to help you.
 
Back
Top Bottom